Introduction again

Valley Village, CA

There are so many new people here, I thought I should also telll you about myself.

I 72 years young, have been working with plants since 4+ years old. I have grown everything one time or other, but my current loves are Crassula, mini Aloe, Haworthis, Gasteria, Sedum, Sansevieria, Echievieria, Pelagonium, Afraican bulbs, unusual varieties, Hoya, Kalanchoe, Tylecoden, Cotyledon, Rhipsalis, Agave, well you get the idea, I do stay away from thornes.

I have a small garden and a lath house, covered patio, large driveway, small hot house, and greenhouse which I now heat for the winter. I enjoy all of you on this forum, I think you are polite, interested people who whant to learn about this hobby of ours.

My professional training has been from reading books about these plants and 10+ years working (volunteering) for a major Garden here in the Los Angeles Area, I work with a curator of a desert collection and he has been instrumental in making me realilze the importance of a correct label, and even getting the documentation on my plants, as to where purchased or obtained, and even location data on the plant.

If you know where the plant came from you will know what care it will need, soil needs, temperature needs.
I hope I can give enough input to be of help with out preaching. The is a fun hobby, you meet wonderful people, mostly, just toss out the rest. Most sincere collectors will always share. We all want to hook you into the hobby, and then we have more people to talk to about it. I am happy to send out plants as long as you meet me half way and pay for the postage. Norma

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Norma,
Nice to met you and thanks for all the help you've given so far.
If I may ask which garden in LA?
We usually do the Holidays out there in Tijunga and have been to many of the gardens from Santa Barbara to San Diego.

Ric

This message was edited Dec 13, 2003 8:36 PM

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Norma... How lovely for us that you decided to re-introduce yourself!! There are sooo many people I see here that I know little or nothing about, and our Member Page usually tells little.

Like I told Ric, I don't usually watch this forum as I have no knowledge and only a couple of plants in this category.

Valley Village, CA

I have volunteered for the Huntington Botanical Gardens for the past 10+ years. I have been taught so much, I read constantly, I don't want to put foot in mouth. You don't need to read any further. I write long notes trying to get in as much information as I can.

John Trageer are curator has taught me exactly what he needs me to do, make dish gardens, wreaths, propagate, propagate. I don't touch the cactus. No needd to steal plants from the habitant, now you can buy them for very little money. We believe in conservation there, be believe in growing without pesticides, we change soil frequently so we have no soil diseases. He has picked my brain and I pick his, he is our best alley, if I can't find out what you want to know from my books, then I go and pick his brain so you will know the name of your plants. That is the reason I don't want any of you buying plants from those WalMart, Target, Sams Home Depot places, they are just not grown right, not enough sun. Great for shipping but not for lasting. Change soil, and spray immediately before they join your collection. Isolate for two weeks.

Those of you who are coming through this way, please call me, I can get you into the Huntington free. One of my priviledges. Henry, you are invited to stay at my house when you come this way again, I will take you to the Hungtington Gardens, and if we have time a few private gardens, nurseries. I must know what kind of plants you would be interested in. Many of us specialize. Plants with a caudex? General Succulent? , cactus only? Aloe? Are you looking to purchase? Pots?
If you want to see it all plan three days with me. Again bring running shoes. Norma

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Norma,
Thanks for that MOST generous offer.
The Huntington is one we have not yet had time to get to.
ALAS! It will be at least a year before we head out your way again.

Most of my plants are in fact obtained directly from small commercial growers and private collections w/ maybe a 10th thru Superstores.
These though are carefully picked over for quality and I get them as soon as they arrive at the stores.
So far all have thrived but for some reason the stores here seem to go that extra distance and actually hire gardeners to take care of their plants.
It does make a HUGE difference in the quality.

Ric
As you warned I also re-pot and then isolate as I do all my plants. As an added precaution I also spray them w/ an alcohol/water mix before the re-pot.

Valley Village, CA

Darius, be sure to watch this forum, this is where I learn every day. Contribute what you can, there are others out there that even know less than you do. There are always new things to learn, don't be afraid, no one bites here, Dave just wouldn't put up with it. That is why I'm here, I'm feel safe.
Off Topic:
Does any one here know about blueberries, that kind that you eat and are being sold in grocery stores? When do I plant the seed and what are the soil requirements, sun, shade? wet? dry? I forgot how to grow them.

Just found a Ceropegia today, not to interesting, but I don't have it yet. All green vine Ceropegia woodii, no white veins at all. Now I'm going to have to search this out tonight before I go to bed. Norma

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Norma,
The seeds should be planted in Jan-Feb but I'm not sure you can grow them to fruit there in your climate.

They require about 200-400 chill hours to set flower correctly.
There are some Southern varieties though that might be able to fruit there.

Here's a link on the blueberry seed.
http://www.wildblueberries.maine.edu/FactSheets/Seed.htm

Here's a list of S/CA chill hours that might help.

Less than 200 chill hours: Most of the coastal areas but also including inland areas or south-facing slopes with good air drainage.

200 to 475 chill hours: Most of the inland areas up to the lower foothills but also including some of the coastal valleys.

Greater than 475 chill hours: The mountain areas and some inland valleys.

Ric

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Norma,
Wow! Thank you for all of the info. I will have to make it t the Gardens to meet you. We are close enough for a day trip. I will e-mail you another day.

Good luck with the blueberries. I was able to grow them in northern CA but the fruit was small compared to Eastern berries. I have never gotten a decent bush here so gave up the project.

My son started the cactus project here and now one side of the house is given over to the cactus/succulents. So far we have been just buying for looks. He likes impressive thorns. It is very valuable to be able to find out more about them as we have no names for some of them. We usually buy them at Walter Anderson's Nursery now as their plants are handled much better.

Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Norma,
Thanks for all the information here and on other posts you have made. You knowledge is wonderful and your experiences in the world of cacti and succulents sound awesome! I always enjoy reading your posts and always learn something from you. Thanks for sharing your expertise with us.

Valley Village, CA

I will be at the Gardens all day this Monday. maybe Wed this week as well. I will be in the Botanical Garden work area on these days, and will be at the Cafeteria about 11:30 to 12:30 most people know who I am and where to find me. Monday they are closed to the public, but may let you in to meet me, tell them that you have an appointment with me. See if that works. It's really best if you call first. I may go in Tuesday afternoon. 12:00 to 3:30 Call me in the envening if you plan to meet me there. I will not give you my phone # here. I'm listed in the telephone book, I live in the San Fernando Valley, my husband's name is Charles Lewis. Winter hours are short so call and find out the hours they are open.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Hi I just wanted to say I love epiphyllums day and night bloomers and alwats looking for cuttings as here it is impossible to find plants. Could you tell me where I might find some at a very good price. Really would perfer small plants as they probably would only cost what one cutting is.
How do I get them to bloom better, What soil should I use. Would love to pick your brain.
Sandy

Valley Village, CA

Sandy, my dear, I know about succulents, not cactus. We use a very gritty cactus mix, mostly pumice 50%, with sand 40%, only 10% organic. At home I don't make it that lean, I also don't grow my plants as hard as most people.
I do, starting April 1, fertilize regularly after I water, each week until Oct 1. We top dress them with small gravel, which keeps the new plant in, the weeds out, cooler in the summer, the dirt in as well. The fertilizer is well balanced 8-10-10 or close to it. Follow the directions on the bottle. I have been using Eleanor's F-11 2 tbs per gal, for the Hoya, I do spray them, so now instead of having bald vines, they have leaves growing out along the vine right away. Also I notice umbels starting sooner. This is my newest growing trick. Another old trick is using fungicide on the Gasteria so they won't get black spots, it does work. Another growing trick, is do not water your Sans. when it's cold, they hate it.
Crassula are growing now, so please water and fertilize them now. Except your 'Jades' Crassula ovata. They are in flower now, but will start really growing about April 1 so don't take cuttings until then, this species does not like humidity. There is a lot of little hints out there, I hope the rest of you will share your special way of growing your plants, humble servant, Norma

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

How sweet you are. I would lvoe it if you lived next door to me. You are so precious.
Now I will sound silly but I didn't know there was a difference. Maybe more dumb than silly. Could you explain? I didn't know it was this complicated.
Thanks sincerely,
Sandy

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sandy,
I'm currently reading a cactus book and their theory is cactus evoloved to meet drier weather conditions.
The climate them got wetter in areas in South America.
Most cactus perished but a few survived and evolved into the epiphyllum cactus you see today.
The stems got flatter to increase surface area which allowed them to get rid of water in transpiration and receive more light. The coat also got waxier to shed more water.
They started growing off ground in the understory so the root system changed to meet that environment also.
They don't really have much in the way of roots so can be vastly under-potted.
We use 1/2 potting soil, 1/4 fine bark or compost and 1/4 sand. Go easy on the fertilzer and stay w/ a low nitrogen fert. Too much and they grow too fast and get spindly.
Don't let them sit in water but they do use much more than most succulents.
We let the soil dry almost out and then deep water.
Full sun in winter (at least here in OH) and dappled shade in the rest of the year.
They like a breeze and misting also.
As they have so much top weight/pot weight our biggest problem is keeping them from falling over.
We had to wire the pots to the shelf.

Ric

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks Ric,
Thant is very interesting. I know more now than I did. Yes mine get very top heavy also. I look forward to learning much more. What colors do you own ric and how long have you had epis?
Thanks
Sandy

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Ric, I've done the same,.......wiring pots to the shelves! The top-heavy wieght of the huge flat foliage of the epis does that! They fare quite well in my greenhouse...I wish I could trade with everyone here, .....I'm on the Western Coast of B.C., Canada....with agri laws today???????????? Elaine

Valley Village, CA

My husband and I love Vancover, check with your Agrig. dept. I think you are allowed to receive no more than 12 plants with no soil. I have been told this by several Canadians. If this is so I can mail a few to you. Do you have any friends across the border? I Grandmother had this plants on her back patioi steps, morning sun only. Little care, they didn't tip over, but they hung down over her pot. I haven't forgotten, I did bring hom San. today. I paid $3. each all dark red and maroon colors. Big flowering varieties, no pink or yellow yet. I still have some of their relative to give away, which will be included in the boxes. All will be shipped without soil.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.