24 x 12 Conservatory built in 3 days!

Northern California, CA

Did this last year....it's always either Spring time or Christmas at the conservatory. The plants never die or outgrow their space, although they do suffer from the dreaded "dust" disease.

It's 1/12 scale so in real life it would be 12' x 24' with 8' sidewalls and 12' at the peak.

Thumbnail by Happenstance
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

A very nice little model greenhouse all dressed up for the holidays. The miniatures around it make the scene look very lifelike. I believe you must be a person with a lot of patience.

Jonesboro, AR(Zone 7a)

What a gorgeous model! You should post a pic of the whole town/neighborhood.

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

Absolutely gorgeous -- you are such an extremely talented person! Thank you for sharing more of your "Heaven on Earth" with us! ...Gretchen

Northern California, CA

Thanks, I do it for my grankids....well not really, they are just an excuse to never grow up. :-)

It's my favorite place to shop too! A shop of European antiques, vintage cookware and a shop just for Fiestaware.

Jonesboro, AR(Zone 7a)

Thank you for the picture! How funny... I'm an avid collector of FiestaWare! Would your shop by any chance have a Water Pitcher?

Northern California, CA

It has just about everything Fiesta....the stuff dreams are made of.

This message was edited Jun 14, 2006 11:21 AM

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

What a neat model, you are very talented. Thanks for sharing with us. Donna

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Another Fiestaware lover here :) I have my great-grandmother's collection in a 1930s handmade oak china hutch, and I have reproduction that we use for our everyday place settings.

I recently came across a Fiestaware serving spoon (not a spoon rest, an actual spoon) in an antique/junk store. It was in cobalt blue, and had a chip (and was around $100), and I'm wondering about its authenticity - I can't find ANYTHING on them making spoons. (I have juice glasses among my treasures, but I've never seen utensils.)

GREAT greenhouse model, BTW - what a fun hobby!

Northern California, CA

Morning Terry -

Up early this morning.....turned the heat off as usual last night and boy is it CHILLY in here this morning! Course the GH is a toasty 55F with the space heater cranking, maybe I should go sleep out there.

The spoon you saw was most likely part of the Kitchen Kraft line also produced by Homer Laughlin China. The line was originally done in Ivory either plain or with a variety of decal adornments.

The Fiesta Kitchen Kraft line was done in response to the popularity of Fiesta in the late 30's & 40's. The Fiesta Cobalt, Red, Yellow and Light Green glazes were used on the pieces shown in a 1938 brochure.
$100 is about the right price for a MINT condition spoon, fork or cake lifter, with no factory flaws. As with most other things today, the market is down and good deals can be had on many vintage Fiesta collectibles on eBay.

This message was edited Jun 14, 2006 11:45 AM

Jonesboro, AR(Zone 7a)

Terry, my obsession with FiestaWare started when my grandmother gave me her mothers collection! I love mine!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Another Fiesta collector here too! The serving pieces have me intrigued. I have not actively searched for new pieces in about 3 years tho. :)

I just broke my cobalt oval serving plate a few months ago. Ugh! Completely an accident and I will try to use it in some kind of mosaic art project.

We don't have all of the pieces yet, but I did complete the mixing bowl set! It is fun and I just love the old Fiesta.

Thumbnail by Sue_WA
North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

another Fiesta finder! Love the orange pitcher?? in the top left hand of your cabinet! A few years ago, an elderly lady from my garden club, gave me a HUGE round creamy-coloured platter(original), and I have never seen one in any colour?? Do any of you collect the newer stuff to, so you can mix and match? love the magical greenhouse,..hap! Elaine

Jonesboro, AR(Zone 7a)

Roselaine, I have been debating whether or not to start with the new line. I really like the older stuff and the nostalgia that comes from knowing that it belonged to someone else once! Although, the new line has some really pretty colors, and I know that I can just go out and buy a water pitcher! That's my obsession right now...finding an older water pitcher!!!! Call me crazy!!

Northern California, CA

Regarding Post86 Fiesta....the reissue Fiesta which was introduced in 1986 is lead-free, wears like iron and a couple of the colors which were produced for a couple of years only are now collectible in their own right. (Sapphire and Lilac)

I collect vintage and have used reissue for my everyday dinnerware since 1988. The nostalgia for me is that both grandmothers had Fiesta when I was a kid and I love bright colors.

This message was edited Jun 14, 2006 11:46 AM

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Happy (can I call you Happy? :) ), your kitchen is absolutely wonderful! I looooooooooove all the fiestaware. It reminds me of some display shelves I put in my foyer to show off my ceramic pitchers(not Fiesta though). My question is...before this kitchen remodel, where on earth did you keep all this stuff!?!?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Roselaine, that is an antique vase (Royal Hager) that matches the fiesta we have. Sounds like you were given a chop plate. The creamy color is called Ivory? Going on memory here....lol
They come in all of the old colors, I believe.

Northern California, CA

ecobioangie - I am generally "happy" most of the time, but you can call me Candy.

I kept the reissue mostly in my old kitchen cupboards behind closed doors and in a free standing pine cabinet. This was the "before" kitchen.
My yellow ware bowls were banished for awhile, but are now back where they belong. The vintage is in two built in cabinets with glass doors, one of which is shown in the magazine article. Unlike a lot of collectors, I keep it contained within the family room/kitchen.....it does tend to want to migrate to all corners of the house...kind of like plants. :-)

If you missed the evolution of the kitchen, you can follow the whole saga here.

See the new links in the message above at:
Dec 10, 2003
8:32 AM

Edited 2/03/04 to reflect new server URLs

This message was edited Feb 3, 2004 9:32 PM

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

WOW, Beautiful kitchen.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

I don't collect Fiesta, but my dream is to have a full size conservatory just like your model.

Jonesboro, AR(Zone 7a)

Candy, your kitchen is every FiestaWare collectors "Dream Kitchen"! I LOVE the white cabinets, it really makes the colors of the collection show up, you should be very, very proud! And......just when I thought I had seen every piece of FiestaWare out there, you go and show the Halloween stuff, or is it something else? Anyway, I LOVE IT! I collect dishware of all kinds, and am definitely in "FiestaWare Envy" Kim

Where is Happenstance? I hope she's okay -- haven't seen her around since Christmas...

Northern California, CA

Hi Gretchen -

I'm just fine thanks.....been busy nursing a perpetual cold since before Christmas, trading germs back and forth with my 1yr old grandson. I think we are going for a record of the world's longest running runny noses!

Also redesigning my dinnerware website......cleaning up 5 years of old images, redoing the whole design. Have to do something, it's been really damp and cold here for weeks. Have such an itch to get outside, but it is just plain mucky. Have an itch to hit the nursery, but have been able to resist so far. :-)

Think spring!

Candy: So glad that you are okay! I'm sorry you've been under the weather, but sounds like you are on the mend. I know the feeling. I have cabin fever and can't wait to get out. Luckily I have my little portable greenhouse which has kept me pretty busy. I hope your cold is completely gone soon, and also hope for blue skies headed in your direction... Gretchen

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Everyone(gardeners of course), has cabin fever, spring fever, roses fever......it is just around the corner..thankgoodness for greenhouses! Elaine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.