Hello, From St. Croix , US virgin islands

Frederiksted, VI(Zone 11)

I am new to DG. The picture is of my dog Buck under a Coral bush/tree. I look forward to learning alot. I am a new gardener(one year) in this zone(11). This site is Great!!!

Thumbnail by msailaway
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Wow, I love the islands. Spent some time on St. Thomas a few years ago and didn't want to come home. Welcome to Daves.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Oh boy lets have a DG RU in St Croix, I just love all the islands!!! Welcome to DG,
Candee

Dear Brugie, St. Croix is a sister island to St. Thomas - about 40 miles away. St. Croix is more rural and laid back. Next time you consider a trip look to St. Croix -Great Diving, Snorkeling, less crowded, more time for beach less shopping. I moved here eight years ago and never want to leave.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Msailaway-Im so jealous of you already!!!! ZONE 11 and the islands!
WWWWWHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!
Im sorry my zone envy is at a terrible high! Forgive me!
Welcome to daves -our garden hangout! I hope you find this site very helpful n fun!

Your so lucky!!! Our high today is 28! :)
welcome
dori

Whats a RU???

Don't feel bad about Zone envy. I have something worse Dirt envy!!!!!!!!! My yard, which I love, should have been a Quarry. I have rotten rock, caleeche, ... Bed rock at about two feet. We are blessed with warm weather and I am thankful.

Thanks for all the welcome!!!!!

A warm welcome to Dave's Garden, msailaway! ("RU" is short for "roundup" -- real-life gatherings or get-togethers of DG members.) Buck is so cute!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

mssailaway - welcome to the group. is buck a black lab? i had at one time a golden. wonderful breed. oh well, welcome again

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

If you moved there 8 years ago, where did you move from? Here in the states? I think I'm too old to worry about the water sports now. I would just love the warmth, especially around January or February.

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Welcome to Daves msailaway. Think I'll slip into brugie's suitcase if she comes your way.

I was born and raised in Memphis TN. Ya'll can come on down an RU anytime you want- but bring tents!!! - my house is a very small West Indian cottage.

Buck's mom was an AKA golden lab and his father was an interprizing cruzan mut. Thats how I got him - they could not sell the litter. Zena was a pound hound my husband fell in love with and I fell in love with on the way home.

Crossville, TN

Welcome from an old lady in Arizona....not the really warm part in winter, but better than some of the really snowy places!! Come into Chat room tonight at 7:00 PM EST and lets get to know you....it is very enjoyable.

I love the way you say YA'll (as opposed to the Texas way...Y'all....hehehe) See, we even type with southern accents....I moved to AZ from Fl...before that VA and WV....see ya in the forums. Jo

Dear Roadrunner,

I will try to make it sounds like fun. When I first moved here
I had a hard time cause Cruzans (locals) call all mainlanders -YANKS!!! Hard to take for a southern gal like me.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Sue, there should be room in the suitcase. Won't need many clothes when we go visiting. LOL!!

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

msailaway, So glad to see you here. When I visited St. Thomas about 5 years ago, I was fasinated with the lovely tropical flowers. I remember seeing a beautiful tree covered in big bell like blooms - - of course,I now know it was a brugmansia.

From Memphis to St. Croix? What a wonderful change! I look forward to seeing more of your flower posts. Nat

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Welcome from eastern Oregon where is it snowing. Don't you ever get the urge to play in some snow? Wanna trade for a while?

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi msailaway and welcome from Northern California. I don't have zone envy. lol I moved up here to get away from the all year warm weather. It's nice and cool and wet outside right now. Ahhhhh!

Buck sure looks like a cutie, hidin' away under that bush.

Dave's is a great place, the folks are warm and wonderful. See ya 'round the garden.

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

I'm jealous, but don't let it bother you. =)

Welcome to Dave's. You are gonna love it here.

Cheri'

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Welcome, msailaway!

I have a neighbor who lived in St. Croix for many years. They tried to start a papaya plantation, which failed. Her daughter and son-in-law still live on St. Croix and visit here once a month. She gave me a screen-saver of lovely VI pictures. Nice to see when it's snowing here, LOL.

Darius,
Thanks for the welcome! We have been in a drought here for about ten years - fortunately so far this has been a rainy fall - Ponds are filling back up that have not held water in three years. I can see how a papaya plantaion might have had a hard time making it go. You should come to St. Croix with your friends - it is very tranquil here. Snow already - early winter?

Hi msailaway,welcome to Daves Garden.
Waving at you from Arkansas!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

msailaway.. I would LOVE to visit St. Croix! Unfortunately, I don't fly anymore. (I flew as part of my sales management job, often more than once a week, and got sick every time. I cannot imagine any family urgency that would make me get on an airplane again.)

Yes, we've had snow a couple of times already in December, but that's not unusual. I've seen snow here as early as October but we seldom get much accumulation as we're only about 2500'. The higher elevations up to the TN line get much more.

Bitty1,

Waving back from St. Croix!!!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Hey, msailaway! Welcome from a native-born Cruzan - born in Frederiksted, to boot!!!

Oh, how I envy you! I wanna go home!!!!!

PV

PVick,

A special hello to you. Wish you could be here this year. The adult and childrens parade BOTH in F'sted this year!!!! Will post pictures. Even with the bad economy so many good things are happening here.
If you want me to pass on any holiday messages let me know.
I was not "ban here" but my heart is here.

msailaway

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

msailaway -

I wish I could be there too! BOTH parades in F'sted! That's an accomplishment - there's usually such a struggle with C'sted as to who will host which parade.

I was home last year, when my dad died (he lived in Hannah's Rest). Haven't been home for Christmas in several years....hmmmm....sure would be nice.

Enjoy the parades, enjoy the food, do an extra dance for me!

Happy Holidays!

PV

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi and belated welcome from Michigan!

I know you will love it here.

Alice

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Hi and welcome to another 'beginner' at DG. I had to chuckle about being called a YANK. I grew up in Canada and all Americans are called Yanks there. Some people here in IA did not like that! Oh well, live and learn :) Merry Christmas and look forward to visiting on DG!

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

Msailaway, I am waving at you from snowy Idaho.

I raise sheep that are mostly St. Croix hair sheep. I love em and they do great in the snow too.

Someday I want to come there and maybe export a new bloodline of the sheep.

I hope you love DG as much as I do. There is lots of knowledge here and friends to be made too.

Lani

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.