String-of-Pearls Seeds

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

My string-of-pearls (Senecio rowleyanus) produces seeds, but would they be viable seeds? I know that the plant can be propagated from cuttings, but don't care to trade plant matter much, as it involves having to go to the post office, standing in line, etc. However, I like to trade seeds.

Valley Village, CA

Kellie, you can just post small packages if they weigh under an l lb. Where do you live in Los Angeles, we have a big city 60 miles across? I also have a postage scale. Every post office has one for you to use as well.I can weigh them at the post office and put the postage on and set them on the counter for mailing, no standing in line. If the package is flat it can be mailed at the curb.
Senecio seed may not be viable. Try planting them and then you will know. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Kelli, did you have any other Senecio in flower at the time, and were they outside? Senecio, may not be self fertile that I don't know, or perhaps only certain species are. I started some from a leaf, which really surprised me. I should say I rooted the leaf, now I must and wait and see what grows. Norma

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I have a couple senecio. They are all outside but they all came from cuttings of the same plant, so genetically, it's the same as having only one plant, I would think. I guess I'll just have to try some myself. No biggie, I was just hoping that someone had had experience with this.

I am in Canoga Park. (I put my location as Los Angeles since no one outside of this area is going to know where CP is.) I want to avoid having to go to the post office at all. I have no particular dislike of the post office, I just want to avoid the extra chore.

This message was edited Dec 9, 2003 11:47 AM

Valley Village, CA

Kelli, some plants self, meaning self fertile. This we must find out. Perhaps someone of you will know this. Let me know what you find out. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Kelli, well I'm in North Hollowood just a few block east of Coldwater Canyon and Magnolia. But if you don't like the extra trip to the post office, you wouldn't want to come this far either. Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.