Lok at Me! I'm Blooming!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

My son's pride and joy. He has had it since it was a baby and it is now about 40"tall (Care to guess who really takes care of it?) Bit me when I tried to take its picture too, the ungrateful thing.

I can't say that it has a very spectacular bloom but it is doing the best that it can and is covered with them.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

The whole thing. It has to be moved or winds in winter will smash it into the window this winter. It is only in a 1 gal pot.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I love the markings on this plant. The thorns are another story.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

What is it?

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

Thats pretty Frogrus:)
It is somekind of Euphorbia for sure.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Euphorbia it is. Common name zig zag.

Valley Village, CA

It is wonderful, the give away as to what it is- The three part flower and fruit.
Congratulations on a great picture, I have never seen it flower before. What a good looking plant. Euphoria are so diverse in shape, appearance. The are great. Be very carefull of the sap, wash it off with milk immediately or/
Those of you who grow Euphoria species should also grow Aeonium Lindley the antidote. Norma

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Really? This thing blooms twice a year and has since it was a pup. You just never know do you? I really hate to move it far from where it is but as you see, it is really too large to be a window plant anymore. It was fun watching it grow.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil(Zone 11)

Most of the african cactus-like Euphorbias donīt bloom in Brazil, although they grow like crazy here. I donīt know why.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

It is only about 125 miles between Norma and I though.

I do have it and the other Euphorbias in regular potting soil as they seemed to not do as well in a cactus mix. Too dry probably. It is interesting. I guess the plants know what they need. I can't imagine why they would not bloom in Brazil though. You would think they would love it.

I have seen one that has a grey coloration that I was going to get Morgan for Christmas but no one sems to be able to tell me if it will hold that color or if it is just a function of how it was raised. Any ideas?

Valley Village, CA

Ma Vie Rose , good going.
I wonder why it wouldn't flower in Brazil, unless it was too cold for the plant, or too wet. I see these at the Hungtington Gardens, but not in flower I must just miss the flowering, That same species comes also with red stems. Also there is a white form, I can't remember the name, I don't collect these plants. I think it depends where you live in Brazil. I just looked it up, Euphorbia trigona. It comes from So. West Africa, which means it will need very warm weahter to flower it. This should be grown in the house or green house, with heat. I don't know about the humidity. There are several others that look like it to me as well. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Rio and S.W Africa are the same longitude on the map. But one must be the dry side and the other is the wet side of the Continents. This is why it is so important to know where a plant grows. I can't grow Sedum that come from the East of our country. My weather here is like So. West Africa. I have a feeling that there has been a name change. I have several books on S.W. Africa, and I can only find E. Tetragona which does also looks like your plant. Are you looking for a name? if so I will copy off a picture and take it to our curator. I going to the Gardens tomorrow. Norma

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Norma, it probably is too humid in Brazil. i don't know i am guessing.

i used to have African milk tree growing in my old house, in front of the house. it was 4' tall, a stranger stop one day, offered me $150.00 for the plant. no, i did not sell it. apparently it was a collector who wanted to decorate his house with it.

euphorbia, i never watered much. i kept them on the dry side or completely dry prior to watering again. i had another one 6' tall on 5 gal. pot indoors. somehow i never had any problem growing them either indoor or outdoor. either environment, they do grow nicely. except the one indoor was more greener than the one growing in full sun.

it has been such a long time, i hardly remember the details on growing euphorbia. i do not have any euphorbia. perhaps next time i see one in HD, i should buy one. i know if i have one memory will trigger back experiences of growing them.

Valley Village, CA

I just don't like them, they must have warm weather all year around and usually come from Madgascar. I live on the west coast so have extreme difficulty growing east coast plants. Norma

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

they do make a nice indoor plants, specially on a roomy livingroom. next time i go to L.A., i will try to find one that i shared with some relatives long time ago. they do grow nice and tall. it is a nice plant that make a statement by itself. it does have a nice structure.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Zig zag is in its glory now. I think it is trying to prove to the christmas cactus' with which it shares it's window sill, that it is beautiful too.

I found an interesting twisted euphorbia for DS for christmas. I will post it after the day cause I don't want him to accidently see it. They are a great plant for a 14 yr old boy because they can survive benign neglect. Lol.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

frogsrus,
That is one beautiful E. pseudocactus you have there!!
Great job of growing!
I am extremely jealous!

Ric

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.