What are these nasties?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

And what do I do about them? I carefully washed them off and they keep coming back but only on this poor little plant.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
Valley Village, CA

I don't see any spines, looks like plucked chicken legs to me. he he Could it be a Kleinia of some sort, without the feathers? Norma

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Lol Norma. I know what the cactus is. http://davesgarden.com/t/401821/ Notice the little yellow buggies on it. This is the only cactus they seem to like and I want them Gone. Soap does not seem to dissuade them.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil(Zone 11)

For a moment I thought it would be young leaves that eventually fall or turn into spines. Itīs common in newly grown stems of Opuntia and many other cacti. That would explain why soap canīt make them go away.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Yellow spots have brown legs and walk. I can wash them off but they come back or hide, I don't know. Maybe i will try a quick shot of something stronger or continue to pick them off as i find them and hope they do not survive cooler weather. I have the plant isolated at the moment. Poor little ugly plant. It is a good thing it has an interesting flower. It is by far the homeliest plant I own.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil(Zone 11)

Heheh, sorry, I couldnīt notice that by the picture ^.^ I like the idea of picking them off. I have problems with aphids from time to time and nothing works on them besides that. Cotton and alcohol is all what you need to not make a mess.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

When in doubt I use the systemic rose insecticide granules from orthene. I hate insecticides but this I sometimes use on cannas as they get those nasty worms and always look bad. I always figure if it kills it I am no worse off because I have to get rid of the bugs after I have tried other things. It stays in the plant for 6 weeks. I have used it on an epi that had something.
Have you tried the (I can't think of the name) it is an oil?
By the way I love that cactus.
Hope this helps.
Sandy

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

They look like milkweed bugs, which I also get on oleander, and I notice a couple on the string-of-pearls the other day. I've never tried to control them on plants in the yard, but when all else fails and the plant is not something I want to eat, I use this really stinky insecticide called Isotox.

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Could also be Milkweed aphids which also do have that orange color.
ilj99 most likely you mean neem oil.
Malathion might also be effective.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The safest way to go after them is I agree w/ alcohol.
A lot of succulents don't react well to the soap or oil-based insecticides.
I used a 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water mix.
Spray liberally and let dry in a well ventilated area out of the sun.
Wait a day or two and if you see anymore repeat.
I try not to get too much in the soil.
Ric

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.