European RR is flying...!

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

I've mailed the RR envelope to Ratza this evening. I've put in 55 little packages with seeds. So Ratza..let us know when it arrives in Romania.

For your memory this is way the RR is flying:

1. Saya - The Netherlands sends to
2. Ratza - Roemenia on 30/11
3. Baa - UK
4. Evert - Finland
5. Philomel - UK
6. Mitjo - Finland
7. Sueone - UK
8. Anna07 - UK
9. Saya - The Netherlands

little hadham, United Kingdom

I need help with this as it is my first time. Do I substitute the packs of seeds I take out of the package? What is the maximum I can take? Thank you!

Hi Anna. You've got mail :D

I've just heard from Ratza he did'nt get the RR envelope yet...it's hard to be patient.

Bucharest, Romania

The RR envelope just arrived.
I`m sending it tomorrow to Baa.

That's great Ratza! Was there anything in you'ld like to have? Did'nt know about the veggies. I'm glad I did'nt put in any Daturaseeds for you :)

Bucharest, Romania

Very, very bad news.
The postal office refused to accept my RR parcel.
They said that only seed in their original package may be sent to other countries.
Otherwise I must get a permit for each of the plant seed from some government institution – which is quite impossible.
So, I thought of 2 ways to keep the RR running:
1) I will send 5 separate envelopes with 10 packages each as regular mail – they don`t open small envelopes;
2) I will get 50 original seed packets from the supermarket , open them , swap the seeds and then seal them back. This is more risky.
I`m open to any suggestions.
I`m sorry – it`s my fault – I should have asked at the post office before joining the RR.
Like I said – I live in a [deleted] country.
The RR will go on, this I promise

Ratza...that's bad news. How about putting more packages in one commercial seedpacket. They are only small. I can look if I have some empty commercial packages to send to you. Wondering if it is okay if you write the botanical name on the costumslip or make a list what's included and glue it on the envelope????? I've traded many times with people in Australia. It's allowed to send seeds if they are mentioned on the customslip with their botanical name. Australia is very strict too. Maybe it's the same at your place. On the seedpackages I've send you I've written the latin name. But I think the first solution is probably the simplest. I'll get even with you for the extra postage when I send the commercial veggieseeds to you :) Ask to be sure if you may receive them. Why are F1 seeds so difficult to get in Romania?

Bucharest, Romania

That`s very risky.
Every parcel sent abroad must be inspected by the postal workers. If they decide to open even the commercial packages and find other packages inside ... this would mean trouble.
In Romania there are two ways to send stuff abroad: if it fits in a regular envelope and doesn`t exceed 20g (I guess) then you can send it as correspondence (the postal workers don`t usually open it); if not , then the contents must be inspected by the post office.
So, tomorrow I`ll try to send 15-20 seed packets in a normal bubblewrap envelope. If they accept it then I will send 2 more. If not, I`ll think of something else.
Like I said - the RR will go on.
I`m very sorry to live in such a ***** country.

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Ratza.. how about TNT or some other company - can you send through them? http://www.tnt.com/country/ro_ro.html

Altho I think it's way too expensive :/

Too bad for what happened in the PO to you.. hope you get the seeds sent, somehow..

Bucharest, Romania

It`s no use. They must obey the same rules as the Romanian Postal Service, I guess. Like the guy at the PO said: 'regulations are regulations'.
Didn`t Mitjo send you the picture with the flag?

I see. But hey, rules are made to be broken ;)

No he didn't. :]

Bucharest, Romania

Next week I`ll throw another flag in the arena.
Be on your guard - don`t let Mitjo snatch it again :)

Haha.. I'll try to be more active this time ;)

Bucharest, Romania

I managed to send the first 20 seed packets in a bubblewrap envelope. I had to lie to the girl at the post office - I told her it`s a special greeting card with some dried flowes in it.
I`ll send 2 or 3 more - at different post offices and in separate days, I don`t want them to become suspicious.

Way to go Ratza :) How much does it cost to send one envelope?

Bucharest, Romania

This one cost me 100.000 lei - approx 3US$. But I registered it. Regular mail is at half the price, I guess.
If you register it then you can complain if it gets lost.
Nothing happens, of course. I send my mail to the post office through a neighbour - he brings me the receipt so I can be sure that he really delivered it. Otherwise he`d just take the money and tell me that he delivered it. I really don`t trust him - he spent 10 years in jail (no kidding) for stealing a minister`s luggage at the airport.
You better check for new threads on the European forum, Evert :)

This message was edited Dec 11, 2003 7:07 PM

2,53 €. For one letter or all of them? If that's the price for all of them... this becomes expensive to you for sure :/

Nice neighbor :D

I checked the thread already ;)

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

BoBo..:)

Thumbnail by Mitjo
Bucharest, Romania

3$ per registered letter (depends on weight).
It`s sort of expensive considering that the average wage in Romania is 100$. The beer is cheap here - 50cent-1$ per bottle. The cheapest is 25cent.

Well, here registered letter prices start from 5 €

Beer is much more expensive here, can't say the exact price though, because I hate it, don't drink it and can't buy it yet anyway.

Hi Ratza, That's great! So RR is on his way to Baa now?

Bucharest, Romania

Yes. I`m sending another one on Monday.
I had this brilliant idea :) - what if I cut out the bubblewrap from inside the envelope - this way it would not seem bulky and raise suspicion.

Hi Ratza, Seeds kan be damaged without the bubblewrap by the machines that sorts the mail out. If it helps you...I mostly (re-)use the inside bubble wrap of the envelope to pack the seeds. Then I put this in a ordinary envelope. Now is the time to send christmasgreetings so I send seeds in the bubblewrap inside of a christmasgreetingcard. If you have something else that give seeds some protection it's okay too. I've already used the protection that fragile fruits are wrapped in to send seeds in ...it's just an example. Maybe this helps Ratza.

Bucharest, Romania

I guess the idea wasn`t that brilliant after all.
Must think of some lies for the post office.

This sounds serious to me...what are the risks for you Ratza? Don't want you to get in any serious troubles in no way! If so...please don't send any seeds back Ratza! I also don't want to force you to ly Ratza..I think we both feel more comfortable if I'ld make a new envelope to send to Baa. I still have so many seeds to send. Romanian mail is a little odd though...until now I've only experienced diffilculties to get seeds in and not out a country. Or they must be protected and threatened species..cannot find another reason at the moment :+
I'll see what I can do Ratza!

Bucharest, Romania

Please don`t do that.
Nothing will happen to me - if the envelope is too thick or too heavy - then I must go the customs ( a special post office) and open it ; then a clerk inspects the contents and decides whether it is tax-free or not. For example - when I sent a flag to Finland I had to open the envelope at the customs. Seeds must be in their original packing or accompanied by some certificate.
Once they accept the sealed envelope I don`t think they will open it later. And even if they do so - the only thing they can do is either to confiscate it or to send it back.
So, please don`t send another RR to Baa.
I`ll mail another envelope on Monday, then another on Friday.
I`m pretty sure that in 2 weeks Baa will receive all the seeds.
We won`t let some stupid laws and some stupid postal workers stop our RR.

This message was edited Dec 14, 2003 9:44 PM

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

These laws are like jokes to me. Stupid laws, it illeagle to send flags to China, and seeds to U.S.A. Always some problems!

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

you only need to include a certificate for the country you are sending to not from

Bucharest, Romania

This message was edited Dec 15, 2003 3:18 PM

Bucharest, Romania

The second RR envelope is on its way to the UK. One more to go.
And the flag to Finland.

Thanks Ratza, that's great !!!

Bucharest, Romania

I`ve mailed the last RR envelope today.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

That's great Ratza :)

I hope Baa and Evert aren't going to be too quick with the turn around - I'm away from tomorrow til the 27th, but looking forward to a packet after that ;)

Happy Christmas all RRers

I've received two of the envelopes thanks, is there a third Ratza?

Bucharest, Romania

Yes. I`ve mailed it on friday.

Hi..I've being so busy with our new puppy..so I did'nt follow this thread for a while. Great Ratza! You've finally succeeded to get the seeds out of your country. Hey, I've got your envelope too today..I had to give my signature to get it. Please mail me what you like to order.

Thanks Ratza

I received the third envelope yesterday (3/1/04) and will send it back out by Tuesday 6th

Oopss meant to say I did send the envelope ion to Evert on Tuesday so it should with in Finland soon!

Perhaps tomorrow, we'll see.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.