help for the bulbly challenged

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

I am in the process of potting ranunculas and anenomes and for the life of me I can't tell which way is up. I've decided the anenome I should treat like begonias. (am I right?) and that I should plant the spidery bit of the ranunculas bulb down - how is my guess? I searched the forums and the net for info but no one seems to be as spatially challenged as I. Feels good to have my hands in potting soil though.

Yes, you have the ranuncs right. I can't always tell with anemones so I put them on their sides.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks echoes I will have to periodically check the anenomes in the spring

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

you're right, echoes......place them on their side! This used to, and probably, still is one of the most asked questions in the Nursery trade! Most all bulbs will find their way to the light, regardless...which reminds me, my Amaryllis should be planted today,,,great gardening, indoor or out!...Elaine

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

today gardening involves waging war against the pests AGAIN. I do get tired of their persistence; but will take Pam's advice and never never give up. New pest added - mice have found the begonia bulbs, left over christmas stuff and lord knows what else. Trap line is set with chocolate and their little entry points have been sealed. The bugs seem always to be with me. All I have to do is get preoccupied for a few days and skip daily inspection of the leaves and whammo they are back in force. Maybe insects will inherit the earth after we are but a faint memory in the geological conscience.

and until then .....spray is my friend.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2020 10:24 PM

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Heck You Guys: I thought you said help for the bubbly challenged. And, no, I'm not bubbled right now. It is 9 am here.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

You can bet all the environmentalist will !@#$%^&* you!!!! Shame on ya! what about something else??

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

What's LATOX?

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Anenomes think its spring - obviously they don't have eyes!! I have put blocks of ice underneath each of the trays to cool the soil and hopefully retard their growth cause I'm just not ready to let them grow on yet. But at least it means I got them right way up. The ranuncs are shooting away too and so are the crocus. No sign of the calla breaking through yet but they are in bigger pots and the temp doesn't get above 46 in our hot walker room.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

brought the things home on Sunday. Proud to report I must have guessed right about the way up on most bulbs because at least 80% seem to be up and growing. Unfortunately the drac and some other spidery bulb thing had to be planted in large enough pots that the cats seem to have had their way with them. Once home and warming there is a lovely odour of cat urine lingering about them. HMM! will this discourage bugs and things; will it harm the bulbs; should I replace the soil? No sign of callas showing through; have decided based on info from other threads to keep them very moist simulating boggy conditions and see what happens.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.