Perennial & annual bed under a maple tree?

East Hampton, NY(Zone 7a)

We have a mature maple tree that sits in the middle of a row of arborvitaes. On one side of this row runs our driveway and on the other side is lawn. The lawn has never grown particularly well under the maple's canopy, so we recently created a new planting area in front of the arborvitaes that sweeps out beneath the maple. We carefully removed the sod, so as to minimize any root damage to the maple roots which were located immediately beneath the sod. Our idea was to plant a perennial and annual flower garden, but tulip bulbs, for instance should be buried 6" - 7" deep. Digging through the tree and shrub roots doesn't seem to be the correct solution nor does adding 6" - 7" of new top soil and or mulch, which will probably suffocate the root systems. Is there any solution that will work for the tree, the arborvitae and us. The only other thing to mention is that the maple root collar is exposed, and the primary root zone slopes downward away from the tree trunk approximately 6" -8" to a radius point of about six feet. Do you think that a few inches of new soil could be added outside of this radius zone for our proposed planting area without starving the tree roots of oxygen?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

We built a raised bed around the base of a 50+ year old Maple tree a few years ago. There have been no negative side effects that we can detect at this time. As for roots, they just made themselves at home in the raised bed!! Lots of new tree roots to deal with all the time.

Penfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I have a huge silver maple in my front yard. When I moved into the house I tried to get the grass to grow and the tree just would not let it. So I put down about 4 inches of shredded bark. Dug a few holes and planted daff bulbs. I planted Pachysandra around the base. After a couple of years the trees roots have totally consumed the mulch. I have continued to plant daffs and have tried a few shrubs but most of the shrubs have died even though I give extra water and nutrients. This year I added a stone path, a birdfeeder and that helped take away some of the emptiness. I've decided next year to do a few large hypertufa planters in a grouping to add some annuals for color. Its a less than ideal solution but that is the challenge of gardening sometimes. Good Luck

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I don't think you can hurt the roots of an established maple tree. I have two city trees in front of my house. Around the house is a 3 foot retaining wall.... and it goes right over the root zone of the trees. The soil behind the retaining wall is infested with tree roots... and it's three feet above the ground level that the trees are planted.

I don't think there will be much harm done to the trees... but in a couple of growing seasons your nicely worked beds will be a solid mass of roots and impossible to keep up.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

corboulee, I think you will have a difficult time trying to grow plants under your maple, They do have very extensive root systems. As someone else said adding 5 or 6 inches of dirt out away from tree trunk shouldn't hurt the tree. You will have to add soil constantly as the maple roots will use the soil for its roots. Good luck. Donna

East Hampton, NY(Zone 7a)

Thank you all very much for taking the time to share your experiences. I feel measurably reassured that there is virtually nothing I can do to compromise my tree. It seems that a little soil and some mulch on top will be a good medium for satisfying all requirements. Thanks again and Happy Holidays to you all! corboulee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.