TaTa....my seedlingswinterstorage

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

So now it's ready..this shelvesthing. I've bought it at IKEA (Gorm) and they sold a nearly transparant plastic cover with zippers for it. Under it I gave it a bubbleplastic cover and when it freezes or on very dark days I can put the lights on to give it some extra warmth and light. There are 5 shelves in (51 x 77 cm). Together it has cost me about 35 Euros. Well..I thought this is a solution for my seedlingsstorageproblems because I don't have a greenhouse. I think inside the house it's much to warm for them when the heating is on. If I'm satisfied I'll probably buy another one. I can always use them to storage other things in it. Here's a pic how it looks.

Thumbnail by saya
Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Hi Saya your shelves are looking good. I see that you have put them to good use already. These shelves are a good idea if you are short of space but there are a few things you have to be aware of. I have a number of shelves like this which I use in winter or in summer for storage of newly potted plants, or cuttings.I do not actively grow plants in them though I have tried to. What plants need for strong growth is unhindered natural light. After the first two shelves light levels drop dramatically. If you are using lights maybe it would be better to use them on the lower shelves if you intend using them for this purpose. The results can be leggy plants that struggle for the light. What you need to do to counter this is regularly turn your plants and rotate them so they all get a turn in the best light. Venilation is also important. On sunny days make sure that the front is opened up and do not let the plant leaves touch the sides as this will cause them to rot. Be careful with your watering too, especially with regard to any excess that leaks onto plants below and be sparing with it!
Heres wishing you every success with your shelves. I hope I havent put you off or anything. These shelves can be used and will work if used properly.:))

Thanks Psilo for the good advices. Light is a concern for me. The covering is nearly transparant though. I've used the big bubbleplastic which is more transparant then the small bubbled one and lots of alufoil to reflect the light. I've painted the shelves etcetera white for that case also. When I keep the seedlings in the house they'll get more leggy I've noticed because it's to warm and more dark.
I'll put the upper lamp more down. I hope this works.

Oh I've forgotten to tell..I keep the seedlings on the dry side and water them with a solution of water and hydroperoxyde 3% to keep fungus away. Do you think this works ? I also use some perlite in the pottingsoil. Perlite is'nt easy to get here for hobbygardners. I've bought some in a growshop...this is something typical (double)Dutch I think. In a growshop you can buy all things you need to grow cannabis commercial. All those shops have an illegal smell because growing cannabis commercial is prohibited. If you grow some they'll destroy everything and you'll get prisonpunishment. If you live in a rented house you'll have to move. Police is very very keen on it. Well this was an adventure for me to get in and buy some things just for sowing the wonderfull seeds I've got from generous traders. Most of the costumers of growshops buy there for illegal purposes. Growshops itselfs are'nt illegal (is that's not a double mentality...!?)
First I had to walk through clouds of cannabissmoke...the man behind the counter did'nt look so clearly anymore seemed to me. I've asked if they could deliver the things I've ordered....well they looked at me as if they've seen ghosts...."Is it wise to see us deliver goods at your door"..They must have think... what a strange lady!!!

This message was edited Nov 28, 2003 10:43 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.