Lilac Needs Help !!!

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

Well, maybe it's more like the owner of the lilac that needs the help....
Ya see I ordered this red lilac from Michigan Bulb and it was sent to me in the spring. As I know you all are aware it looked like an over grown toothpick when it arrived. I watered it and cared for it and planted it into a bigger pot and everything because I CAN'T DECIDE WHERE I WANT TO PLANT IT ! Meantime it's now November and here in zone 6
my other lilacs have lost their leaves outside while my little red lilac has sprouted some leaves and shot up to about a 12" little tree on my kitchen sill.

Must I plant it outside this year or can I keep it in over the winter? Or does it need to be cold and all that stuff in order for it to be healthy next spring?

I still really have not made up my mind about where to plant it and if I do plant it I may have to move it in spring anyway.

I sure would appreciate your advice.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

You should not have kept this plant in the house over the summer. It should have been outside.

If you put the plant outside now it will more-than-likely die. You will need to keep it in the house and hope for the best. It might survive and it might not.

Lilacs need a winter dormancy to do well. If buds on it are breaking and starting to grow you have no choice but to keep the plant growing through most of the winter.

In late February or early March you could put the plant in a plastic bag with a few holes punched in the bag and put the plant into your refrigerator for 3 months or so (until the end of May) to give the plant a short dormancy period.

You will need to wait until that time of the year to determine whether the plant looks like it wants to go dormant. Because the days will be getting noticeably longer then, the plant may start to grow again and putting it into the refrigerator will kill it.

If you keep the plant growing all winter be sure to wait until the trees and shrubs in your area have leafed-out in the spring before putting the plant outside. The plant will be very tender from spending the winter in the house and won't be able to tolerate an unexpected cold spell in the spring.

Best of luck,
Mike

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Mike, I knew someone would guide me in the right direction. This is the first one I've ever bought. I have 3 other lilacs on the property but they were here when we moved in 15 years ago. I really hope that it makes it.

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

I hope it makes it "crossing fingers". I had the same problem of not wanting to plant mine till I had my own house, I kept it in a pot for two years,kept it outside and it did fine believe it or not. now I have it in the ground but I dont have any blooms. My stupid dog decided it was good to chew on. Keeping my fingers crossed for this spring, I fenced it off and its about 5 feet tall now. Good Luck with that one.

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

Dravencat - The good thing for yours is that you had it outside. As long as it's alive I would think there is hope for blooms. As Treelover indicated..I should have had mine outside. My stupidity..Oh well..I've always kinda been the one who had to learn everything the hard way :(
thanks for the crossed fingers, can ya keep them crossed till spring ? LOL

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Silly of course I can, I dont think I ever uncross them. Pretty good at typing this way too I think. Sorry it took me so long.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.