Thumbergia Battiscombia Seeds??

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I hope this is a good place to post this........since it is one many have intrest in and some have grown. ......

I brough my Thumbergia Battiscombie in last night and this morning while sweeping up the Husk it dropped from spent floweres I opened some.
I was very surprised to find anything at all much less these nub's.......

So what do yall think, are these the seeds?? Some are larger than others and look more promising..........
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I've never had seeds on mine, but if seeds were to form, they would have to form right there. I'm sure they would have to mature more than yours have at this point, but maybe, just maybe, you were lucky enough to have something pollinate yours. Mine have always just dropped off after the bloom was spent.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I agree Burgie.....this is where they should be....but I don't think they are mature enough to be viable......These dropped off and I found them on the floor.

Some seem to stay on longer than others. I am going to try and spray the flower next time with epsom salt's solution like you do peppers.....see if that does anything......
Since this is a deep throated flower maybe it's not getting pollinated so I am also going to try and hand pollinated some of them to see if that will help.

So far all this is just trial and error so who knows........
Since I brought it in the house it has stopped blooming but will put it back out today since the weather has warmed up again........I'll keep you posted on any results.

Anyone that has ideas on how to get seeds off this please LMK........
Dee

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I have always heard that the thunbergia grandiflora, and battiscombei do not produce viable seed.
I was recently corrected! A woman grew some grandiflora and grandiflora alba from seeds she purchased off of Ebay.
Another site mentions they set seed.
Mine set seed all the time, but no luck. I think they must be like a chicken and her eggs...she'll produce eggs, with or without a rooster, but only produce a fertile egg with the help of a rooster.
Making any sense? In other words, they set seeds, no matter what, even if they are sterile,-- so hard to know which ones are sterile, and which ones are fertile...
-Taylor

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Huh, never thought of it that way. Wonder if you cross pollenate it with anothe varitey (any of them) if it would set seeds then? I would like to get the Grandfloria or use the blackeyed susan and see if it would produce seeds and what would they produce....might be intresting. Has anyone done this?

Also wonder if it could be like the Kiwi where you have a male and female plant before you can get any fruits....
Dee

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Willow,
I posted a pic in the database of the white thunbergia grandiflora seeds that I got from ebay. (Hi Taylor, that was me) I planted 3 and 2 came up. I don't know if the battiscombe seed looks the same, but it might give you an idea what to look for.
Good Luck!
Donna
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/1968/index.html

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Donna, I have never seen anything resembling them on my plant.
Where did you get the seeds for Alba. Maybe if I had another close by it would cross and produce seeds......
Dee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.