starting out

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I have a great system, gift from a dear friend. It includes everything. But I'm afraid to start using it. I'd like to put a brug in there, but what size? young, old, big, little?? what? thanks

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

So what type of system did you get?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I knew someone would ask! LOL!! it's a Power Grower, not certain of what size it is, the entire setup looks like maybe a 10 gallon pot?

southern, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hey bonnie, I am a novice on this but I would think it would work well with a freshly rooted cutting. It should grow faster then the ones in the soil, and possably bloom sooner? I am getting the equipment for a small DIY system with a 15 gallon resevour, so we are kind of in the same boat :)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I need to test it with something not important. But here's my next question. if it did do well, could it ever be successfully transferred to just regular dirt growing conditions?

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

tiG, I'm surprized no one answered your query. Once a cutting is rooted, it certainly can be just as successful in soil. Just continue to give it the care it needs ie. water, light and nutrients. Aeroponics is a very popular method of creating cuttings rapidly and effectively. (Some of the units are called clone machines)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

thanks, that's what I needed to know.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi Bonnie
It's been a while since I was at Dave's. It should do great in the Power Grower. It should also do well if placed back into soil. I will be placing a cutting in one come spring. One of the cuttings I will try will be HG.
Cindy

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

funny you posted today. I just set it up yesterday and put cuttings in it. was much easier than I feared.

Marshfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, if you plan to transfer to soil growing, I think it would need to be done fairly soon after roots appear, though, because the roots on hydroponically/aeroponically grown plants are different than the roots on soil grown plants, and if it develops a very large system of water type roots, don't know how well those would adapt to soil culture. I am by no means an expert, but it just sounds like it makes sense, doesn't it? :-)

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Mary,
......Funny you should post that .......Awhile back Ludger was explaining to someone that water roots are not good in soil because they are different.
tiG,
.......Think I'm going to try a clone machine, I've been reading about them and it sounds interesting.
..............I also saw a "Kitchen -Tissue Culture" kit that I'm interested in but I think that will go on the back burner for now. Things are starting to get busy in the plant room, trays 'n trays of seedlings going already.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

scoot, it worked great. I just let them get to the nubbie stage, not long roots. I've got the second batch in there now.
what is a clone machine?

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

tig, a clone machine is an aeroponic system. You put your cuttings in the cups, and they are misted from underneath. They form roots quite rapidly in the constantly moist environment.

Westmoreland, TN(Zone 7a)

This message was edited Aug 26, 2005 3:27 PM

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I believe both are used. MH is used mostly for vegatative growth and HPS is used for the blooming and fruiting stage. Plants grown with just HPS tend to become leggy.
Cindy

Westmoreland, TN(Zone 7a)

This message was edited Aug 26, 2005 3:27 PM

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

rh3708: yes

Michael

Dansville, NY(Zone 6a)

I build my own aero cloner and poped some peppermint cuttings into
it and they rooted in 2 days. Also i tried some levendar cuttings and
they took like 2 weeks to show any signs of roots. at about 2.5 weeks
i had 3 out of 6 levendar clones with roots, the other 3 didnt make it.

Thumbnail by VbSparky
Dansville, NY(Zone 6a)

another pic

Thumbnail by VbSparky

Sparky , what did you used to cut the holes for the baskets?

TIA

Dansville, NY(Zone 6a)

I got a hole saw that chucks up in a drill . looks like cross , the part
that does the cutting is a metal lathe bit. its adjustable and takes
getting used to. I highly recomend test cutting on something
before you actually make the holes for the netpots.

Thumbnail by VbSparky
Dansville, NY(Zone 6a)

PS... be very carefull using it in a hand drill, IT BITES HARD ...
that lathe bit will slice you open fast and deep.

Also , you can transplant from hydro to soil but you need to
keep a eye on the plant and feed it with some hydro nutes
till it develops some dirt roots. the plant will recieve a little
more transplant shock.

I have gone both ways with some plants and all surived so far.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2005 9:57 AM

Thank you. I have never seen one of these bits. Learn sumpin' every day !

Interesting also on the dirt roots...........
I always believed that my (brug) cuttings , that are held over in water only had 'water' roots and then upon potting
the cutting would develop hair like dirt roots while sloughing off the water roots. One of our experts disagrees.
What would be your take on this ?

*Note to self....... ''Check out Hydro Forum more often''*

TIA .. again

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.