Beaded Gourds

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

I thought you might like to see some of my beaded gourds. I haven't tried to put pic's on here before so bear with me. Hey it worked. That was easy.

This one is called " The Great Southwest"
This message was edited Nov 20, 2003 4:25 PM

This message was edited Nov 20, 2003 4:28 PM

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

More gourds
This one is called " Over and Under the Sea"

This message was edited Nov 20, 2003 4:29 PM

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

And another view

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

And one more

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Wow, those are cool!! How do you attach the beads?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you Ruth, I apply bees wax and then push each bead one at a time in with a T pin. I sculpt the wax into three dementional figures so that they look as though they are coming right out of the gourds. These cannot be displayed in a sunny window for obvious reasons. Bees wax will melt and then you will have lost about 100+ hours worth of work.
I discovered this when I set one down to do something else and came back to it and went to pick it up and the beads slid all over. They will last forever if you just keep them out of the sun. Just like a candle.

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh those are wonderful.. you are very talented.. I grow them, but have not done a thing with them.. this year I will attempt to paint them
You have done a great job and all that work, you have got to have the patience of a saint..

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

This is the one I'm working on now and it has the map of Africa on the bottom of it. It has two Girraffs on one side and a lion and lioness on another side. it will have two more animals and all the foliage behind them when it is done. Down the road a ways. It takes sooo... long to do one. The others sold for $400.00 and $600.00. This one will go for at least a $1000.00 as its at least twice as big as "Over and Under the Sea".

This message was edited Nov 20, 2003 4:40 PM

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Mesilla Park, NM

Oh my goodness, you're truely a Gourd Artist. Gourd Art is finally blooming here in the U.S. it seems that more and more people are becoming aware of it's existence.. which is a good thing.. it is such an ancient craft too. I just can hardly wait to start some kind of project, trying to get a burning unit for x-mas.. (from Santa Hubby)..lol a pyroengraving tool..

(Zone 5a)

My hats off to ya your gourds are just beautiful.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Windsurfer, I wish I had more time to spend on the Gourd I'm working in now as it's been a work in progress for much too long. I need to get it finished and move on to the next one. I just love looking at it and wish I could get motivated again to get it finished and sold. I usually have them sold before they're finished but I haven't shown this one to any buyers yet. This one will go for $1000. as it is so big and will probably have a fortune in beads by the time it's done.

(Zone 5a)

I understand, I am trying to find something different to do with my gourds.
I have one that just has to have a special design added to it but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is.

I know that I will be doing a couple of birds but wanted to try something different. I couldn't do the bead thing because I would never finish it.
Everything I want to do has to be done outside, it has been raining here so much that my backyard has never dried out from the summer rains not to mention it's cold. I guess I'll just have to come up with something else to do with them.

Crossville, TN

Jan does beautiful work...and they are even better to see in person. I wish all of you had the pleasure of doing so. Jo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.