Hybrid System?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Has anyone combined a hydro system with growing tomatoes upside down?

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Haven't tried it but it should be easily possible using rockwool with drip irrigation or a modified ebb-and-flow system. The trick will be to seal around the stem to prevent the nutrient solution to run down the stem yet still allow for complete drainage.

Northern Rivers NSW, Australia(Zone 7b)

Darius, I have seen them growing this way on a TV doc. I think it may have been in Holland or somewhere similar.The idea was easy picking and no need for supporting, as they grew the rack was raised higher. Have also seen them growing in suspended "grow bags" . You have given me ideas now . Why not grow them on a verandah and let them trail over the edge. Will post pics of "my" new experiment .John in OZ.

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

I do remember some commercial hydroponic tomato growing systems where the plants are suspended via height adjustable Nylon strings with fully exposed rootball where the nutrient solution is misted on. This system was still with the rootball on the bottom, haven't seen it with the rootball on top but for sure it would be possible.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

I be a lucky one to grow them upside up

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

P.C., the nutrient misting is often refered to aeroponics, which I would love to try. I bought the book "How to Hydroponics" by Keith Roberto. It tells how to make several systems, including an aeroponic one. You can get it, and a lot of good info at www.futuregarden.com
Haven't got one built yet, been waiting for my DH to help me.

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Sky, thanks for reminding me of the name of it. I personally have not used Aeroponics but have seen it in action. It seems to be a high maintenance system and also a bit pricey in the beginning.

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, price is the thing that holds me back. Saw one in action, and it was impressive. You'd have to just about be in commercial production to justify the cost, though. Even making one is priceier than making more simple units.
Still makes me drool, though.

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

Heya Sky.
Which part of the aeroponics do you see being so exspensive? I have many ideas and access to other DIY aeroponic systems. The only exspensive part should be the pump that is needed to supply pressure needed to produce the finer mist. Me and others use mister's from mini-sprinkler systems you can get at any lowe's or Home depot. You could also use those mister fittings from those patio cooling kits, Arizona Misters has a site that shows all the mister parts we're trying. If I recall correctly, your best bet for a pump is at the pet store. Rio makes a few pumps capable of producing that mist. I'm going to test some other pumps I already have to see if they will do the trick. I'm in the middle of fixing our mini sprinkler system and 2 different hydro set ups I'm going to use on the patio this year. I want to see what I can get a Brug to do in hydro since they are such heavy feeder's and like a wetter enviroment.
I'd be happy to help you in any way I can, just let me know. That would give me the little push I need to get motivated on this stuff.
JD

Marshfield, MO(Zone 6a)

I built my own aeroponics system and currently have tomatoes that are doing very well in it.

Thumbnail by MaryinLa
Milton, VT(Zone 4a)

MaryinLa,

Do you have info/website on aeroponics systems such as yours. I am interested!

Brian

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Ditto !

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.