Starting Seeds of Crepe Myrtle??

Summerville, SC(Zone 8b)

Has anyone here done this?? We have lots of trees and would love to use some of these wonderful seeds to start
hundreds more crepe myrtles here in South Carolina. Our
Farmers Market customers ask for these all the time and buying them in just gets way to expensive. Farmers Market customers like low prices...so growing these from seeds would be the best way to add to our Farm Property and sell??
Any ideas?
Stephanie in Summerville, Zone 8

Lexington, KY

I have grown Myrtle from seed, and it was easy. I started the seed in Feb (I'm in zone 5) in the greenhouse. My little plants bloomed the first summer. They are still about 25 inches tall, but I'm sure they will grow each year.
I was very pleased with them.

Try it!

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

crepe myrtles from seed is a piece of cake. i plant them in regular planting mix and they germinate with in 3 weeks.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8b)

Thanks so much...
my grandaughter who has lived with us for 11 years had been out there harvesting the seeds...and I am so excited about starting them. Being on Dave's Garden has taught me so much.

We will be starting the seeds here soon...even the smallest cyrtles of about 2 ft here sell wholesale to us for $8.00 for one gallon container.

This would be fantastic plant for sales at Farmers Market..
thank you all so much.
Stephanie

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Lay the seed on top of the soil and keep moist by covering with a plastic wrap until they start to germinate. I just threw some on one of my pots in the garage a week ago and today I thought I would check on them. They are sprouting.
Last year, I winter sowed some and they got to be about a foot tall. They are the shrub type.
I thought they would be hard to grow from seed and was very surprised at how fast they grew.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

i started my crepe myrtle seeds in wet paper towels in a baggy. they germinated really quickly and then i stuck them in a pot and are growing like mad. this was just about 2 weeks ago- and they're almost 2 inches tall now. good luck!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

waterpondfarm - please tell me if your seed growing was successful. .

Judy

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Has anyone tried to root a cutting?
I've had luck with hibiscus, gardenias and curly willow... I was thinking of trying my crepe myrtle.

Dovey

Leland, NC(Zone 8a)

I've rooted crepe myrtle from the shoots that come up around the bottom of the trees. They've done real well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.