Harvest Time!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Yep,y'all read correctly.I have my first tomatoes of 2003.I've been down with a crashed hard drive(nothing like waking up and you computer tells you that the hard drive isn't there...akkk)

Anyway,I have the senile old beast resurected again and am back.

I harvested my first 2 tomatoes this last week while I was off line and enjoyed them like no others I've ever had.These were grown in my greenhouse and the taste wasn't good enough to make my eyes roll back in my head,but they did bring a smile to my face for sure.

They were nice sized and blemish free...hopefully,the other ones will go ahead and ripen too.We had our first frost last night,and while it wasn't a 'killin' frost' it was quite substantial.

They are from the rooted suckers that my Uncle Joe brought me and I have no name,but as they were PL and pink,I'm suspecting Pruden's Purple.The flesh was solid without big divisions for seeds(locules?Carolyn?)

Anyway,here they are on a full sized dinner plate with a fork so you'll have a frame of refrence as to how big they are.

Thumbnail by melody
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Yum! ANY tomato this time of year that's fresh and not gassed is better than none, LOL.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Purty! Mighty purty!

congrats! On the computer AND the maters!

Melody, they're beautiful. I bet they tasted good. The few tomatoes I had this year didn't look as nice as yours but certainly were worth the wait.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

They are from the rooted suckers that my Uncle Joe brought me and I have no name,but as they were PL and pink,I'm suspecting Pruden's Purple.The flesh was solid without big divisions for seeds(locules?Carolyn?)

Melody,

Why are you thinking Pruden's Purple? Was your Uncle Joe growing that variety?

Otherwise, without a name that came with it it would impossible to ID since there are several hundred large pinks with PL foliage. Sigh.

And yes, the cavities in the flesh where the seeds are are called the locules.

Carolyn

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Yes,Carolyn,Uncle Joe was growing Prudens Purple.I gave him the plants,and the only other PL pink he had was Uncle Mark Bagby and it has always been a much flatter tomato when mature than these.He didn't think he'd brought me Uncle Mark...he thought it was PP also,but his labels washed away early in the season ,so he has no idea what most of his tomatoes were.

I'd never dare save these seeds anyway.I just wanted a good eating tomato and they are fitting the bill nicely.I have 3 more starting to turn and 2 Lucky Cross,so it will be a wonderful Thanksgiving with fresh picked tomatoes.

Doing the 'fresh tomato happy dance'

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.