Thunbergia Grandiflora question

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi,
I have been growing my blue sky vine in a big 15 gal tree pot and last winter I brought it in. But this winter I am going to leave it out because it has gotten so big and was wondering if there is anyone in my zone 9/14 that can tell me what to expect. Will it drop it's leaves, will it die back? that type of thing. Also, because it is so big I am going to put it in the ground and 2 things I need to know. When is the best time to transplant it, and since I have been keeping it in an area that has shade cloth blocking the full sun (southern exposure)I am not sure how much sun these can take and I really need to know this before I decide where to move it to. So any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Donna

Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

Donna,

I am in zone 8 (Ms. Gulf Coast)
I have had mine in the ground for
2 years, it has died to the ground & sprouted back so far.

Hope this helps.

Honeybee

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Donna, mine are in the ground for 2 yrs now. They die back but come back fr the roots.
They have been in full sun the whole time! Not a problem here!
:~)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

I live in San Antonio, either 8b or 9a, depending on map. I had one planted for 5 years and it froze to the ground, but came back every year until this year. We didn't have that much cold last Winter, so I don't know what happened. It grew so rampantly, that it always fell over the neighbor's fence. It actually always bloomed better on their side of the fence than on ours, but I am wondering if they put down Roundup or something. It is just so strange considering how large that it was that it suddenly died after 5 years.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

ok... nothing to do with the question there... sorry Pudgie.. but... when you put zone 9/14, what is the /14??

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Shelly,
My location is USDA zone 9 but my Sunset zone is 14.
Donna

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

lol ty pudgy!

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Glad you started this thread......I have the Battiscombia and am thinking of putting it in the ground now and mulching heavy...also have the dutchmans pipe vine that is also huge and just going threw another growth spurt...both are so big and my Greenhouse is gonna be full of other stuff...still havn't taken cutting of impatiences and other stuff I want more of next year...I just don't have the space to put in there........my zone is 9 so I think it will be alright......But I will take cuttings too.......just in case. Last year the salvia and some other tender veggie lived...
Dee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.