Surprise, DH bought me a GH

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

It was a surprise for me. He says he isn't putting it up till spring,but he is out there working now. This really sounds like a lot of work.
That should say DH bought me a GH

This message was edited Nov 12, 2003 1:54 PM

Thumbnail by lizh
Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I changed the title. Although my first thought was "Woohoo! DG is giving away greenhouses!!!" ;o)

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Lucky you!!!!
What a great guy you must have there, I would say he must be a keeper!!!
Not only will you enjoy your greenhouse but you will have a gift that lasts for a very long time.
Congratulations!!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

WOW,once the footings go in its all gunna go quick!

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

That's so cool! What size is it? Is it one of those poly-carbonate ones, or hoop house type. Your husband is a real sweetie!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

what a sweetheart he is!!

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

Thanks Terry, I tried to change it but couldn't.
Skyeblu, To show you how dumb I am, don't know if it is a hoop house. What is that? It's 16X24 and 7ft high. No working outside today, the winds too strong.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

After I saw this beginning greenhouse photo, I wrote to LizH and asked if I could come for a brief visit the next time I went to Boone to see my mother. She generously invited me!

Well, I went the day before Thanksgiving. How delightful Lizh and her husband, Hayes (Hayse?), are! I plan to invite myself back again when I have more time to pick his brain about building, and they aren't getting ready for family on Thanksgiving.

I didn't take my camera, like a dummy. The GH is going to be a hoop house, and will have a double-wall poly cover, fan inflated. The foundation is poured and the forms striped, and a couple of the preformed metal hoops are in place. It's going to be wonderful.

The really neat thing is how it will be heated. They have a huge wood-fired boiler in a separate building that heats the water for the baseboard heat in their house, and he is going to run a loop of tubing from that boiler into the floor of the GH. He will bury it in a sand base, and then gravel on top of that.

Can you imagine nearly free heat for your GH? Probably cost not much more wood, if any, than for heating the house. I'm so envious. They have a reservoir for water and I forgot to ask if it's spring-fed but I bet it is.

Their house is stone and they built it themselves from stone on the property. It's located on his old family homeplace at the end of the holler, and I'll bet it's gorgeous in the spring and summer when everything is green. Sure wish I had taken my camera.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I was curious about the heating like that,I know of some people who heat their poultry barns like that....

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

That sounds like it's gonna be the best ghouse around!

Thanks for the details, darius. That floor heat is what many of the bigger commercial ghouse folks use.

I wondered about that, 'Shoe. I figured it would be out of the question for home greenhouses unless you already had a system you could tap into.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep, I couldn't do it, darius. I'm too far into my set-up now.

However, for a new greenhouse it seems like you could easily lay pipe and possibly run the floor-heated system with a gas water heater, eh? Have it so the water re-cycles back into the water heater on a loop.

The big g-house folks usually keep their plants on the floor (on the heat) and don't often heat the air temperature. 'Tis easier to heat the potted plants than to heat the whole environment. I'm sure the heat will disperse into the ghouse air tho. (And maybe a small backup heater could be available for super-duper cold?)

I have an idea Hayes knows EXACTLY what he's doing, don't you?

Oh, Yes... Hayes is a man who KNOWS exactly what he's doing. I was quite impressed with him. I doubt his wife would let me have him, though... LOL.

I need to make a correction in Lizh's husband's name. It is Hayse, not Hayes. My apologies.

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

Darius, he answers to about anything. Spelled either way, they sound alike. Now, if he will dig a new flower bed just for the brugs.
It's snowing now and the ground is covered. The wind is blowing too. My umbrella turned inside out 3 times walking to and from the car & the shopping center today.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.