Coastal Bend Plant Swap

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

There is going to be a plant swap in Aransas Pass at the Community Park pavilion from 11:00 to 5:00 this Saturday, November 15th.
From Gardening in Texas forum on gardenweb.com
Coastal Bend Plant Swap
DATE: Saturday, November 15, 2003

TIME: 11:00 a.m. til 5:00 p.m.

PLACE: Aransas Pass City Park Pavilion
Aransas Pass, TX

HOSTED BY: Mudshaper
EMAIL: mudshaper@hotpop.com

The Plant Swap will be held at the Aransas Pass City Park Pavilion on the corner of East Johnson Avenue and S. Commericial Street (Little League Ball Park Next to Where the Shrimporee is held) The park sits back off the road, but the ball park is easy to spot.

There is plenty of parking. The pavilion is covered, so we won’t be rained out. There is a playground beside the pavilion for children. Campsites for RV’s and tents are available. For a map follow this link: Yahoo! Maps
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?name=&ed=PTTaB.p_0Tr0hrINRk7b.U6awUQSardk0Zorj6sKCAH1SzL4Ob_N1uoFn6f585p7pfOEIespFsCMOZXuqIyDORcUykCoidRL9BXISzNCuq3hl0AmQCt_fBzqRQ--&csz=Aransas+Pass%2C+TX+78336&desc=&mag=7&ds=n&state=TX&uzip=78336&country=US&BFClick=&BFKey=&resize=s
You can arrange private trades with other gardeners who will be attending the party and then you can bring those plants and seeds with you and exchange them here. And you can also trade among yourselves when you get here. It is up to each individual participant to decide what is a fair trade. If you’re new to gardening, I’m sure there will be enough plants and/or seeds left over to share with you. So come and visit with us. However, it is a SWAP, so please do not come empty-handed. You can bring gardening tools, bags of soil, craft items, books, magazines, jewelry, ANYTHING that you think you could trade for a plant you want, whether garden related or not.

The pavilion does not have any tables or chairs. We are rounding up what tables and chairs we can. We are asking anyone that can help with this task please do so. Any kind of table will be welcome including boards set up on blocks. Anything we can use to set plants on would be greatly appreciated. Some of our garden friends won’t be able to bring a table so we are asking you to help out if you can.

I would also like to ask you guys if you have any special talents or information that you’d like to share with the group. Do you guys have any special talents you can share with us all? Or perhaps some information about a particular plant or a particular way of growing plants?? Let me know if you’d like to be a guest speaker.

Items for sale are permitted in moderation. If you want to sell items related to gardening, go ahead. But remember, all of us, your gardening buddies, get huge discounts! LOL

I do plan to take pictures of the party and the guests having a great time. I may post some of the pictures on Gardenweb or on my website. If you absolutely do not want your picture posted, please let me know in writing. (That way I won’t forget.)

WHAT TO BRING

PLANTS: Potted and labeled with your name, email address, plant name and growing info. Water them the night before you bring them so they’re moist.

SEEDS: Packaged and labeled before the party so they’re ready to trade.

CUTTINGS: Fresh cuttings, wrapped in moist (not wet) paper towels in a ziplock bag that have been kept in a cool place until you trade them.

BULBS, CORMS, TUBERS, RHIZOMES: Clean the dirt off them and put them in paper bags and don’t forget to label them with name, color of flower and growing info.

GARDEN ACCESSORIES: Anything garden related that you might like to trade, including bowling ball art, painted rocks, books, magazines, trellises, birdhouses, bird feeders, pots, plant stands, —related to gardening.

TABLES: You will need to bring tables if you have one to sit your plants on. Bring extra if you can. Generally, the plants you offer for trade go ON the table. And the plants you trade for and are taking home with you go UNDER the table. If you don’t have a table, or can’t fit one in your car, don’t worry. We’ll put something together for you and hopefully we will have extra tables coming from our garden friends.

CHAIRS: Bring a lawn chair. Bring extras if you can. I’m bringing as many as I can round up but I won’t have enough. However, again, if you can’t fit one in your car, don’t worry. I’m sure some will be able to bring extras.

SNACKS AND DRINKS: There will be iced tea and water. If you have particular food and beverage preferences, please feel free to bring your own. Also, I’m asking that everyone bring some food, beverage, paper plates or cups to contribute to the party. Please let me know what you plan to bring, if you know. Our meal will be potluck We are in need of meat dishes.

FRIENDS: Bring any gardening enthusiast or someone we can convert. LOL The more, the merrier!!

SUPPLIES: It’s a good idea to bring boxes to carry your plants home in, Ziploc bags, paper towels, pen and paper for writing down info, labels, a Sharpie, and any other packing materials you might need to haul your plants home comfortably. You may also bring index cards to keep on your table so people who stop by while you’re away from your table can leave you notes regarding trades.
OVERNIGHT ARRANGEMENTS: For those of you traveling a great distance, campsites are available as well as RV spaces. There is an RV park that borders the park.

If you prefer a motel, let me know too and I’ll check with the motels here and see if one of them will give a group discount if several of you need rooms.

MOSQUITO SPRAY: Our Mosquitos carry knives and forks with them, so you’ll definitely need lots of OFF. Deep woods off works the best and last the longest.

SOME THINGS NOT TO BRING

PETS: pets are unpredictable, so I think for everyone’s safety, it’s best to not bring any pets.

CHILDREN: A Playground is right next to the Pavilion. There is also a baseball field. Plenty of room; however you are responsible for your children while they are here.

ALCOHOL: Alcohol is not permitted in the park.

SMOKING: We are required to clean up after the swap. Please make the job easier by disposing of your cigarette butts. Do not throw them down on the ground. We’ll have pots of sand placed around the pavilion and you can dispose of your butts there.

I hope I’ve covered everything. If you have any questions or comments, please email me at mudshaper@hotpop.com
Come on out and have a great time with us! Hope to see you here!!!
PLEASE RSVP ASAP
make your e-mail available and I can send contact numbers through your page. E-mails from my e-mail program not sending properly.
mudshaper

Here is a link that might be useful: Map

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Corpus Swap Details
Posted by: CCLou z9bTX (My Page) on Tue, Nov 11, 03 at 9:35

I will certainly try to attend. About all I have to contribute are elephant ears (huge) and four o'clocks. Maybe a banana pup or two if I have time to dig them up. I work for the architectural firm that designed the Aransas Pass Community Park. Pictures of it are on our website.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.turnerhickey.com/Parks.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.