What is the most economical form of heat for my greenhouse

Central, AR(Zone 7b)

I have a 10 by 20 foot greenhouse and I am looking for the most economical but safe on my plants way to heat this area--- I ran
a electric heater last winter but that can be very expensive in
zone 7???? Thanks everyone! Tracy

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

Well your cheapest form of heat would be a woodstove in the greenhouse. That is quite labor intensive as you have to get the wood, and stack it, and keep the stove stoked.
Propane heat is probably cheaper than Electric.
So far I have not kept a greenhouse heated all winter, but I'm working toward that goal. I'd like to heat with hot water, run either under the floor, or just under the benches. I'd like to have an outside wood burning hot water system, and have it heat the house as well. When your dreaming, you might as well go all the way!

Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

Tracy, I'm in zone 5 and I use a natural gas heater in my 18X24 greenhouse. I'm not going to say its econominal, and when you're talking about heating a plastic house I don't think econominal is possible. It took me a while to realize I didn't need to keep the heat set on 70F, and that the plants would survive the winter if I kept it above freezing. Most sunny days the heater does not come on and it's been known to get up to 90F in there in December, while it's 30F outside. I keep the heat on the lowest setting until about February when I start planting seeds. My heat bill for January will be around $40, but come February it'll get as high as $230, depending on the weather. I have milk jugs painted black and filled with water sitting on the west side of the greenhouse,,,and it's amazing how much heat they will absorb during the sunny days,,and release during the night.

I can imagine the electric heat gets very costly, and I doubt that one heater in a 20' long house would do the trick... I do keep fans going all year to circulate the air and move the heat around in the winter.

I'm not familiar with the winters in your zone, but they can be like the frozen tundra here in zone 5.

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

I like woodstove with propane backup...
I keep the wood burning on really cold nights, and set the thermostat to 55 or whatever...
eventually I do pass out from exhaustion of filling 5 woodstoves and keeping them going, thus the propane.

drew

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.