I keep Orchids also

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

hi there

I thought you might be interested in seeing my Orchid collection. They're looking a bit sickly right now due to a invasion of mealy bugs
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1389828&a=10396155&f=0&sp=0

Mark

(Zone 6a)

If thats sickly, I would love to see them when they are healthy! Very nice pics & great photography. The banana orchid is very interesting. How are you combatting mealy's?

well...... the photos were taken last year before the invasion which came from a plant bought by mail order. I dont know how to control them because orchids are so tempermental when it comes to sprays. I just rub the bugs off the leaves when I inspect them. any better ideas?

I must confess that the Banana Orchid photo was taken in Belize last year.

Mark

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

lovely!there not all in bloom right now,are they?
haw bout some foliage shots?

Melbourne, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Mark.
If you try mixing some plain old rubbing alcohol with just a drop of dishwashing liquid on the mealy bugs, this should get rid of them. Be sure to spray down into the samll crevices. You can also dip a cotton q-tip in this solution and apply directly onto the mealybugs, and remove them. Sometimes a second application is necessary a few days later. Keep the infected plants away from the healthy plants. If this doesn't work, try using Malathion, according to the directions.
Good Luck!

thanks Happypat

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.