a bud in November?

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

"Royal Knight", from the iris co-op, has this morning decided to put up a scape. How bizarre, yet how cool. =)

I haven't had a bearded iris in my garden since 1997, and this summer I went a little nuts, accumulating lots of different ones. Now this one wants to bloom! I don't know if the bud will make it to flower, but I don't have the heart to snip it.

We've been having low temps in the 50's and highs in the 70's, and no frost is predicted. I might get a bloom yet!

Cheri'

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

Congratulations Cheri'!!! I hope you will remember us by putting up a picture if it does. I had a hard frost night before last and now have nothing left in my garden blooming. The last of the begonias and impatiens went with the frost.

Sure am looking forward to Spring!

;~D

LimeyLisa Kay

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

O - I can't wait until spring!

If this bud makes it to flower, I'll surely take a picture to post.

No frost here, yet (which is fine with me!) and lots of stuff doesn't seem to know it's fall. I guess the trees losing their leaves just means that the plants get more sun ... so they keep on growing. My impatiens, some of which are survivors from 2002, are still blooming.

The only problem is no rain for the past two weeks. And none predicted. That is a bit bizarre for us. I just have to drag the hose around, watering everything, until Mother Nature decides to get back on the job.

Cheri'

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

It bloomed! =)
woo hoo!

I took a pic, and as soon as I get the film developed I'll post it.

To make things that much better, the last two buds on my Mary Todd daylily bloomed at the same time. So, I've got iris and daylily blooms in mid November. =)

Now, I've found a bud on my Apostle Plant (walking iris). It is November, isn't it???????? LOL

Cheri'

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

How very cool! And yes, it is November!

LimeyLisa Kay

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

My Clarence sent up a stalk 2 weeks ago in a warm spell--it quickly froze as the weather changed. I envy you who can get true use out of your re-bloomers. Here is what Clarence looked like last spring....

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

Wanda,
You forgot the picture!

I'm so happy to know now that I can get fall blooms out of my re bloomers. It kind of fires up that old iris enthusiasm ... they bloom so early and the season is so long here that by mid season I'm wondering if they are worth the space they take. (Space is at a premium for me) Now, I'll be anticipating fall blooms! From the re bloomers, anyway. Very cool.

Cheri'

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Whoops! All these photos & I forget to attach? Very bright of me! LOL I always find more room for daylilys & irises. I may have to rearrange a bit or remove more grass, but I do it!

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

I bought Clarence during the summer and I am very excited at how beautiful it looks. I never saw it bloom before I got it. Hornbaker Gardens, which is in my area, cleans out their iris beds at the end of the season and sells everything at a dollar. I got Clarence from one of the bins and only knew that it was a rebloomer. Thanks for posting that picture, Wanda. I agree, we should just skip winter! Bbbbuurrrr!

;~D

LimeyLisa Kay

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

That's a nice looking iris. I have one pretty similar but was given to me with no name. I had a rebloomer send up a stalk in Nov. also. Navajo Jewel, I let it develop for as long as I could and then brought it into the house. We had lovely blooms for about 5 days.

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

Sorry for the poor quality of this picture ... Gotta get a digital camera =(

anyway, here's Royal Knight, pic taken November 9.

Cheri'

Thumbnail by sundry
Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, you lucky lady! It is always nice to get a surprise at the end of the season! Thanks for posting your pix!

LimeyLisa Kay

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

When I got "Breakers" a few years ago, I planted it in the fall and it bloomed that fall but it never did that again. All I can figure is that my fall was warmer than the fall wherever the iris came from and so it thought that it was spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.