seed starting mix??

Fort Dodge, IA(Zone 4b)

I'm a newbie and am trying to research how to start seeds of many different varieties. I keep reading about "seed starting mix"...could someone tell me what this is and if you buy it like you would potting soil or if you make it yourself? Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure this is not in the correct forum, but maybe someone will see it and can offer some answers.

This message was edited Nov 4, 2003 1:50 PM

This message was edited Nov 5, 2003 8:32 AM

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I buy my seed starting mix from our local nursery, but places like WalMart do carry some in small bags. I have used my regular potting soil and sifted it to get the chunks out and used it in a pinch. Vermiculite will also work for starting seeds.

Fort Dodge, IA(Zone 4b)

Thanks Brugie! Do you ever mix sand in with it or anything?
I've read where some people do....

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Just a week or so ago I mixed equal parts of potting soil, perlite, and vermiculite and tossed some sand in for good measure. Yes, I do use lots of sand here and there. I had sixteen tons brought in for my garden and I've still got sand. I didn't think it would hurt to mix it in with my potting mixes. Then I was given a recipe for the mix above for rooting brug cuttings and was told to throw some sand into the mix also. It works well on a lot of things.

Fort Dodge, IA(Zone 4b)

Wow, that's a lot of sand! I thought I would just steal some from the grandson's sandbox...he'll never miss it! And thanks for the recipe above! Anxious to see your garden next spring...and mine too for that matter! :-)

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

If we can just get through our winter, I'm sure we will both be up to our elbows in seed starter. I can't wait. Hope you will be coming down in May for the Roundup. At least I think it will be in May. Nothing set in stone yet.

Fort Dodge, IA(Zone 4b)

I'll sure plan on it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.