G. Erianthum in the Autumn

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I took this picture of our wild cranesbill, G. erianthum, in late September. The foliage colors were quite spectacular this year, and the leaf size enormous. It was a bright spot of color in my autumn yard.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

lovely isnt it!! My erianthums have grown very big leaves this year too. It has been a good year for them! :)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Our trees don't offer much fall color here, so it's nice to get some bright colors from the herbacious plants. Our fireweed usually turns bright red, but I hadn't noticed the erianthums this bright before. Do the erianthums do well for you, Psilo?

Blenheim, New Zealand

That sure has coloured beautifully.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Bootandall: These are our native geranium here in Alaska. They are very hardy to our area and adapt well to the garden.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Here is a picture of the blooms taken in early July.

Blenheim, New Zealand

I really like that geranium . must look into how to trade or SASE. nice photo as well

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Yes Weezin, they do just fine here. The ones that you sent me have done well this year too and are now growing well up on the plot.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

bootandall: Click on my name to get to my homepage, then to my tradelist. I have G. erianthum listed.

psilo: I'm so glad my erianthum are doing well for you. It will be interesting to hear whether they winter over well for you and whether they are identical to your other erianthum.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

What a lovely plant Weez! It's lovely to have native plants that are truly 'gardenworthy'. That has everything, with beautiful flowers and gorgeous autumn colour too.
The autumn colour has been much brighter than usual here in SE England, and everything has turned at the same time to give a fantastic display. Normally it comes in dribs and drabs

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, we don't ordinarily have the the showy fall colors here, either, but the shrubs and wild herbaceous plants seem to rise to the occasion. This is a closeup of a local stand of rugosa roses. Even the huge rosehips offer color.

That's beautiful Carol!
I can see my Rosa glauca is putting on a good show - must try and get some photos of that

I've just taken some pics of Pelargoniums still in flower. I'll start another thread when I've downloaded. (Which may be a while - I have another busy busy busy day LOL)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Oh, Phil.. you're always busy, busy! That's what keeps that spring in your step and that flush to your cheeks!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful photos, Weezingreens. I am surprised to hear you don't get much fall color - is that because most of your trees are evergreens?

LOL Weez, you've been peeping ;)

Good question NoH20

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, we have spruce trees which are evergreen, cottonwood that go from green to yellow, then fall, and we have alders that just turn brown and fall. Our local willows turn yellow, as do the mountain ash which have those lovely red berries, as well. Most of the color comes from some of our wild shrubbery, such as high-bush cranberry and wild currant. Our fireweed turn a lovely reddish pink, as well. Here's an alder leaf in autumn... not big whoppee here, eh?

Poor thing's suffering from a bad case of black spot! :(

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Weeezingreens, great shots of your native geranium, and also the other photos. We didn't have good fal color here this fall. Too hot and dry and then very cold weather. Past couple of years I've taken a few hours and gone out photographing all the lovely fall colors, not this year. Now the leaves are frozen onto the limbs. The past four nights we have had record setting cold. Down to 10degrees or just slightly above. Supposed to warm up slightly over the weekend. Donna

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Rutholive, I see you live in Interior Washington, not to far from the BC border, so I imagine cold weather is no stranger, but a bit early for you. We are supposed to drop into the 20's at night over the weekend, and I have to say, it will be a relief.

Last winter was so mild, we never really got a good snow mulch, and the plants began to come out of dormancy (if they were ever in it!) in February. One night, the temps dropped into the teens and killed many of the plants. I'd rather have a good freeze, tuck the little green children in bed, and let them sleep til spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.