Anticipation!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Yes,I'm awaiting the ripening of my first 2003 tomatoes!They are in my greenhouse and doing really well.

Since we still haven't had any frost yet and temps are in the 70-80* degree range,it's nice and toasty in there.

Thumbnail by melody
Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

You go, girl!

We've had two light frosts on this end of the state. My tomatoes, what there were of them, are done.

What varieties do you have going in the greenhouse?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Nice ridges on that mater...what kind is it? (Abe Lincoln has those but I don't remember them being as long.)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

That one is Pruden's Purple.A little more oblong than normal,but quite nice just the same.

I have Arkansas Traveler,Pruden's Purple,Lucky Cross(wildly hoping for a miracle there)Dr.Carolyn Pink,Tatar From Mongolstan and a handful of unknowns.

Seems Uncle Joe brought me some suckers several weeks ago and he forgot to label them.So,I could have about anything from some of my heirlooms back to Big Boys.I'm not picky at this point and wasn't planning on saving these seeds...I just wanted some to eat.

Santa Clara, CA(Zone 9a)

Melody, do you usually have to wait this long for tomatoes or is it just a bad year in your area?

I hate to say it, I just ripped out a bunch of tomato plants this weekend, not because of the cold, but because I'm sick of tomatoes.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

This was the most misrable garden year ever!

I can usually plant tomatoes outside around the 15 th of April.Spring monsoons,tornadoes and hailstorms kept water standing in my garden till the middle of June.

My gardens rotted and died 3 times this Spring.The ground finally warmed sometime in July,but by that time,I'd decided that God didn't want me to have a garden this year...so I didn't plant again.

This was a summer that I didn't need one anyway.

Now that temps have cooled into the 70's,(83 today)my greenhouse is looking appealing,and that is where these tomato plants are.I had nothing planted outside this year.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Heck you'll be enjoying your tomatoes whilst we drool over them on Dave's. :)

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Melody, I am getting ready to clean out the tomatoes from the garden. We are expecting our first frost this weekend...oh and the strawberries need to be picked also. Yes, you read right!

We have awful weather today, rainy, cold and winter is knocking at our door. We too, have been in the 70s and 80s.

I'll tell you something funny. I had a man at the market last weekend from California. He thought it was a little chilly (70), but thought he really liked KY weather and was thinking about moving here. I told him usually it is gray, dreary, rainy, and yucky this time of November. This is definitely abnormal! And no fall foliage to speak of. I'll not complain, would rather have the nice weather than all that splendid color.

Happy Day,
Kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.