think it's G-shepherds warning

Blenheim, New Zealand

is it.

Thumbnail by bootandall
Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

In not too sure from your photo. Is it candy pink?

This is a flower from my plant

Thumbnail by mark
Blenheim, New Zealand

no it's got a bit of blue to it. It is from seed from SRGC

Thumbnail by bootandall

As it came from seed it is more likely to be just a color form of sanguineum.

Are you a member od SRGC? I joined this week.

Blenheim, New Zealand

Yes about 10 years but must pay my sub.Friends gave me so many bits for my first real garden, that getting seeds from over seas and growing them was a way of giving back some thing different.I am on my third garden now. I probably wont ever have plants that are true,but some come close,and it is still great to see the first flower.I will keep posting, as it's great to see the real thing.

A friend has a New Zealand trough filled with NZ alpines.

Blenheim, New Zealand

I bet that looks nice,there are great photo in the SRGC. I hope to get up a mountain or two next year, I have'nt done that in a while. In the past I have had a few NZ alpines ,but they do not do to well closer to sea level.This photo is from two gardens ago I think it is C semicordata can't see the leaves well enough to know now.

Thumbnail by bootandall

A friend has the National Collection of these. In his garden, which is huge, he has a natural rocky out crop. He cleared away more of the soil and planted his collection in the cracks which gives good drainage. Our winters are just a wee bit wet for them to grow well but once they are established they start to multiply.

I have Clematis cartmanii 'Joe' which I think has NZ origins

The parents Clematis cartmanii 'Joe'are C. marmoraria x C. paniculata, and it is named in honour of its originator, Joe Cartmann, a New Zealand gardener.

Blenheim, New Zealand

the clematis you have is from NZ.Here is a photo of a alpine meadow I think your friend would like to be there.

Thumbnail by bootandall

one of N Irelands best alpine growers has been down your way.

Blenheim, New Zealand

Would that be a Mr H McBride. I remember his stunning photo in the SRGC.

good morning Bootandall.

he be the man. Imagine you know who he is. Harold gives fantasic talks and has a garden crammed with goodies. He is the main propagater of the AGS Ulster Group and wins at all the shows.

Over the winter I will be making 8 tufa troughs out of plastic troughs and fish boxes, a new raised bed (3 already and a peat bed) and a scree/crevice garden.

I bought the NARGC book 'Rock Garden Design and Construction' recently to get some new ideas
http://www.timberpress.com/books/index.cfm?do=details&ID=642

You will see some of my raised beds in various stages if you have the time to look here http://davesgarden.com/threads.php?user=mark These house my Galanthus collection along with lots of species Tulips and Narcissus.

Blenheim, New Zealand

You are going to be very busy.I have had a look in to see the raised beds ,but got side tracked. I have made a few troughs, a friend showed me how . We line the container with wide strips of sacking leaving the ends out over the edges, when it set enought it very easy to lift out. Is that how it done over there. My troughs look very old and tired, a bit like me at the moment.I have been painting the out side of my home. I'm on the second coat with half the house to go. Looking forward to seeing the troughs in the making

dont know about seeing them in the making as my promises to show photos as I go along never materialise but you will see the finished troughs. Maybe a before and after shot will do. Troughs should look old and tired LOL

Blenheim, New Zealand

I should have said the plants!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.