orchid cactus & night blooming cirus (sp)

Near Kansas City, MO(Zone 6a)

I have one of each mentioned in the title. Unfortunatly they were given to me as small unlabeled starts.

How should I overwinter them light/dark cool/warm

the one in the basket is sending new growth right now.

Is it OK to have them in plastic & painted pots?

Thumbnail by elfeik
Jackson, GA(Zone 7a)

Both plants should over winter quite easily indoors with no special care,just keep them out of direct sun coming thru a window as the Epi will sun burn easily other than that justlight watering and you should have no problem.

Northern California, CA

elfeik -

Your Epiphyllum is more likely to bloom for you if it is chilled for several months.

Needs good light and cool temps over the winter months. Here in 9b (little chance of frost, but lows can be in the 30's)mine live outside all year round. Snails love them, but I don't suppose that would be a problem inside. :-)

A cool basement with a light source or sunporch that isn't heated too much. And slack off on the water or they can easily rot.

My epis will live in this sheltered corner of the patio for the winter months, with snail baiting weekly to keep those buggers from chewing the down to nothing.

Thumbnail by Happenstance
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, to live in Southern California again. It's been a very long time since I lived there although I was born in
San Diego. Now I'm a desert rat but the weather is pretty nice and not so much traffic or people. Guess you have to give up a little to get a little. Huh?

Northern California, CA

Evening Jan -

I actually live in Northern California (that's a whole different place if you know what I mean). About 50 miles east of SF proper.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.