Strawberries

hiram, GA(Zone 7b)

Just received a couple dozen strawberries in a trade. Is there a way to grow them in inexpensive containers in Georgia? When do I need to plant? Can they winter outdoors in a container? Help please!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Straw berries usualy grow best in the ground but some types such as tristar or tri star do ok in containers. When putting them in containers remember they send out runners so don't crowd them.

As to containers I have seen them in whisky barrels both cut in half and full sized. There is nothing cheap about these. an inexpensive subsitute can be plastic drums .

Stores like Walmart sell large colored plastic tubs with rope handles for five or six bucks that will work well.

You may want to consider white and lineing the inside with some foam insulation to keep the roots from getting to hot.

I hesitate to give you more ideas because I don't have enough of your growing conditions what will work here may not work where your at.

For the same reason I can't comment on winter care but The winter freezes don't bother the berries here and at the end of the season they mow of the tops. Regards Ernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.