articles

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

i do an article, time to time for alotta the other pages I'm on...
things like, 'how to cover a greenhouse'
of course with a large amount of pictures, etc etc.
any interest here? and if so... any ideas on what you'd like to see done... I don't really know the knowledge base here, etc.

drew

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I could use an article today on how to cover a greenhouse. just to encourage DH for the last of it this weekend :) lol!

cool, it's too windy today... so I'm working on other things, but sunday I'll probably cover one of my greenhouses....

I mean, if I can do it with a 48ft by 100ft peice of plastic, I'm certain yall can cover just about anything with this method.

Glen Arm, MD(Zone 7a)

If it's easier then 2 guys walking on purloins to unroll on the top arch then I'm game.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Horseshoe. I was a little slow finding this thread, but think it's great that you are offering to share your considerable knowledge...please do! I have a small GH, 12 x 10, and am considering building another one, so I have been reading the postings lately. The one I have was a big indulgence, an overpriced "Northern Lights" greenhouse, but it was a good one for about 10 years. Due to a hail storm,we had to replace the glazing on the southern roof slope a few years ago, and used single layer, corrugated LEXAN, leaving the inner glazing in place to form an air layer. So far the Lexan has stayed very clear and strong, unlike some cheap fiberglass stuff we used elsewhere. I was wondering what you know about double or triple layered LEXAN panels? Are they hard to seal up? Is their cost justified? We are also considering a screen porch addition and using removable Lexan panels for that in the winter. Any experience you have would be appreciated. Thanks! Susan (Toxic)

This message was edited Nov 12, 2003 8:39 AM

*looks for horseshoe*
I dunno anything about lexan panels.

sorry I didn't get photos of me covering my greenhouse...

I had 4 wisdom teeth cut out monday morning of last week, when I woke up a few hours later I was puttin on the toeboard, and the next day I covered the greenhouse...
which looking back, is fairly scary seeing as how I really do not remember any of this due to the large amount of pain pills I was on... think of THAT when you are 17ft off the ground pulling plastic over a metal structure.

I'll take some pics anyway and kinda demonstrate how I do things anyway.

Drew

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

ouch!!

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

*blushing*...sorry DeepRoots...'fraid I am revealing my age! Can't remember [anything]. Maybe it's ADD: Attention Deficit Disorder (not AD&D: Accidental Death and Dismemberment...that's what you are gonna need if you keep covering greenhouses while taking dope!)

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

LOL >>>> Toxic
§

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Howdy susan. (I was abit confused, too...and I didn't even have teeth pulled!)

I've not used the Lexan before, sorry. I've heard rave reviews about it tho.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Well thanks for responding, anyway. Maybe Lexan would be a good topic for a new message some day.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Darn, I'm bummed out I can't help ya. But lookee here, folks...didn't Weezingreens use this stuff on their g-house? I thought Lexan was what they started a thread on about a yr ago. (Or is my memory finally playing games on me?)

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Shoe,

i do not know anything about the subject, but here is what i find http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=lexan+panel i can not specifically find the 'right' url as i am not familiar at all. anyway, i hope the above url's will help.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks MaVie...that will certainly help.

And lookee here... I found the previous thread re Lexan for greenhouses. Take a look, Toxicodendron!
http://davesgarden.com/t/374448/

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Toxi, Lexan is just a brand name for twin & triple wall polycarbonate panels. There are other manufacturers that make it too. I've done a bit of reading on the subject too.

The big plus for polycarb is the isulation it provides with the air channels between walls. The big down is the cost. I've read the polycarb panels can cut your heating bills in half compared to single paned glass, plexi-glass, or poly film. Most brands are guaranteed for 10-15 years against cracking & yellowing and it's said to be stronger than any other covering you could choose. There are different degrees of thickness made... the thicker the panels the more energy efficient it will be... but also more expensive. This web site that sells the panels might have some good info for you
https://www.sundancesupply.com/Greenhouses.html

This message was edited Nov 14, 2003 8:49 PM

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Thank you everyone for your ideas and info. I love how everyone tries to help out at Dave's. (I think gardeners are generous people by nature.) I will check out the links and read up on it some more. I do know a little about it, just wondering mainly how it works in reality, not what some manufacturer claims... I'm kind of a sceptic, I guess. Thanks again! Susan

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Toxicodendron This may be late but for what it's worth it's great stuff. It is very user friendly. important things to do when using it are.

Remove protective film one pc at a time it is directional and has to face right side out.

When drilling in the field of the panel oversize the hole in the plastic because it expands when hot and failure to do so will risk cracking.

Most four foot brands are 49 plus inches so if you adjust your rafter and stud centers you will save a cut and it will be eaiser to install if you are using factory profiles.

Pay real close attention to the spec sheet you get with regards to which caulk material to use as well as which soaps to wash with.

Double sided tape under the panels and under the joint covering pc if you don't use factory type profiles will help seal the water out.

I think it is well worth the money over the long run and thats most of what I know about it good luck. Ernie

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Ernie! Glad to hear from someone who has experience with the panels. It will be sometime next fall before I need to deal with it, so you comments are not too late at all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.