mounted drawf oncidiums

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

very cute,but no blooms yet.
how do you treat mounties?

[ Removed by member request. - Admin ]

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

Do your mounted oncidiums have pseudobulbs, or are they just fans of leaves?

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

the mountie has p bulbs.
i grow oncidiums in pots very successfuly indoors,this is my first mountie,had it almost two years.

Petaluma, CA

Ooh, ooh!
I too would love information on these. I have a dwarf, mounted Oncidium, anyway I think I do.
However, it never came out of its first dormancy. The pseudobulbs are still green so I soak it a couple of times a week.
Is it still alive? If so, how can I wake it up?
The label appears to say, Onc. hyanobulbum. I purchased it in bloom. At the time the plant, including the pseudobulbs, was about the size of a silver dollar.

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

my p bulbs are the size of a small marble,this plant is little.
i was soaking mine and it started losing leaves.it seems to have recovered,so i just mist every morning.
still hopeing to get more info on this.

Petaluma, CA

Den, you think maybe I should water this baby more than twice a week? It lives in the "aquarium" but I confess to not keeping the thing as damp as I should due to low air circulation (gotta get a little fan for that thing!)
When I got this, the grower told me it's native to Mexico, gets water only in summer, and is dormant and leafless in winter. The pseudobulbs aren't shriveled, but fat and green. I will try upping the H20 intake....

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

i mist every day(did i say that already?)but your right about keeping it dryer because of low air cirrculation.
get a fan.
by water do you mean soak?i never heard of a dormant period.

Petaluma, CA

Yes, I mean soak... perhaps it's too much. I try to saturate the little bit of bark (geez, it's about 1.5 by 2") as well as the moss. I sit it in a glass of filtered water.
Y'know, I'll bet the fan is, as you imply, much more important than previously believed....
I will get on this TODAY. Thanks, Denny! :)perL

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

Den, most orchids will require more water during active growth - when you see new green tips on the roots which is usually in the late spring/summer. Mounted orchids will also require a more humid surrounding and daily misting should do the trick. Soaking the plant/bark once or twice a week will give it a thorough watering.
perLite, Have to agree with Den on the fan..which provides air circulation as well as evaporating excess water from the roots especially in an aquarium. Sounds like your onc is pretty happy with your watering schedule. The most common reason for lack of flowers/spikes is not enough sun. Try giving it more sun gradually. If that doesn't work, try standing over it and sternly repeating "bloom, d* u, bloom!" Just realize this doesn't work for everyone :-)

Petaluma, CA

Leya, thanks for some good solid info.
I have a teeny fan hiding in the garage someplace, and have opened the top of the aquarium more. The ambient atmosphere is very dry in summer. Hopefully I'll uncover the fan in my current cleaning "frenzy" and put it to work.
So, you think my leafless, green, nonwrinkled pseudobulbs are still alive?? (I asked, hopefully)
:)

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

perLite, if it is green and unwrinkled, then yes, it is still alive. I am not familiar with the exact cross but there are some orchids that go through a dormant period and lose all its leaves. Some absolutely requires it to bloom the next season. When you see new leaf or rather a new p-bulb, water (soak) thoroughly once or twice a week. Your misting is doing lots of good in keeping the surrounding air humid.

Petaluma, CA

Leya, it took a couple of months, but FINALLY it's growing! Perhaps I'll get it to bloom again next year. You must be right about the light exposure, because the new growth is very elongated!
Quick, more footcandles!!
Thanks! :)perL

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

GREAT! Glad to hear the good news. Would love to see a picture when it blooms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.