black eye susan vine

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I just now figured out where the seeds were on this vine. Must have missed out on hundreds of seeds.

Thumbnail by rylaff
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

This is the first year I have seen some of these vines, other than nearly dead ones in a nursery. Now I want one, so if you have extra seeds, may I have a few?

Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

Could you tell me where they are because I have looked and cant find them! thanks,

Delisa

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Darius,
Email me privately rylaff@cox.net
Since I have just started collecting them, I dont have many yet but as many blooms as this vine makes, I am sure to have many soon.
Delisa, after the bloom has spent, wait a couple of days and then feel the 2 leaves that the bloom came out of. You should feel the seed. Here is a picture of a seed pod I picked. The seeds are inside.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I too am looking for this. I feel the old pods a day up to 3 days and still no seeds......I will keep looking they have gotta be there sooner or later.......
Dee

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

A lot of them will be empty. Make sure you let them become almost dry on the vine and then pick. After picked, cover the container with a piece of paper toweling secured with a rubber band. Those seeds pop and can shoot across the room. In warm zones, you will probably have lots of them come up volunteer in the spring, if not before.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I did notice several coming up already.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Well I have 3 varieties, the yellow as pictured, the white and the sunrise surprise. I have watched and felt for a while now & not a single seed. Also, I have not seen a single thing interested in them! What does this plant draw? The butterflies ignore it, the hummers do too, and I have not had any bees to speak of in my yard this year. I am at a loss! They are all still blooming profusely though so I will keep watching and squeezing.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

They re-seed here to a point of being very pesky..They seeds have to be dried, and they are hard to catch.. YOu have to watch them daily..They will be green one day and the next, they have burst open and are gone, lol..
Larkie

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

PudgyMudpies, that nothing uses this vine was a dissappointment to me, also. I always try to grow stuff that supports nature in some way. I believe this vine is from Africa. Our insects do not recognize it as a food source. Very unfortunate since it is a dynamite bloomer.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I thought the gulf frit butterfly liked these. That is one reason I planted it. Put it right beside the passionflower so that both catterpillar and butterfly could enjoy.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I've seen my little grey moths in this but thats about it.
But I still like them and will continue to plant them and enjoy the blooms. Seems they take a long time to bloom. So for me thay are the late bloomers when most stuff is already gone.
Dee

Oak Grove, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi All...I just caught my first seeds on this BES vine...now don't laugh... this works....take a zip lock baggie....slip some of the blooms in it still on the vine... at a place where there are alot of blooms works great....zip it almost closed...and secure to vines with clothes pin..be careful not to pinch the vine you've contained....and wait.....I looked forever for the seeds and kept missing them...not any more ! they pop off and into the baggie...I pour them into another container and rezip to the next set....it's working and I now have seeds to replant else where next year:)

Fort Dodge, IA(Zone 4b)

meBaLADY2, wish I had known before now! I grew a salmon one this year and only managed to find a few seeds (very few) and I only found them by checking the ground. The hard frosts we have had have taken it now. I'm hoping it will reseed, but have my doubts in this climate. If I'm lucky, and it does, I'll be sure and try this method! Thanks!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

MeBa,
do you ever see anything buzzing around yours? I have put "catchers" around mine already with no success. And I have been checking the cement around the pot and no seeds there. I really don't think mine are producing. I wish I knew what liked this plant. Obviously something does if people are getting seeds.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Mine had lots of seeds. I have been diging up seedlings and handing them out all over town. I had bees around mine foe awhile. I just ripped mine out to put a new backing behind them. They ae prety much a perennial vine here. Mine was over two years old and bloomed all of the time. They put out many more seeds the 2nd year.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Janice,
I did not know that they could be perennial! That is WONDERFUL news! I think we are close enough in temps that I would be the same as you with these. If we SHOULD get a freeze this winter I could just throw a cover over them like I do my other frose-sensitive plants. But tell me, should I just let them die down on their own & cut down or should I cut down when the blooming stops? You just made my day! First PMH and now this! Pat yourself on the back! LOL
Donna

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Mine never stopped blooming and did not die back so I don't know what to tell you. They fiinally got a bug and it was a good excuse to rip them out and start over with better support. I just let them go. They went up my fence and over to my neighbor. They just got thicker and thicker. I left the bases of some of the original vines so I will see what happens and let you know.
Janice

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.