silk floss tree

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I started this from seed last winter. This is how tall it has gotten. I will bring it in over the winter and plan on putting it into the ground next spring. I cant believe how fast it has grown. Dont know how it will do since it is hardy to zone 9 and I am in the upper fringes of zone 9. But I am going to give it a shot.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

The spines are starting to grow on the trunk. This tree is truly amazing.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

That looks interesting Rylaf. Maybe we should get together? I have one strange tree.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi, Lisa! I grew one of these several years ago - interesting plant, but mine didn't bloom. It grew to about 3' tall and shed leaves ALL the time. I hope it does well for you - I know it will. When it blooms, would you share pictures with us? TTYS

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Even if it never blooms, it is still an interesting tree with the spikes on the trunk. We shall see how it does.

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Give it some time and you will have beautiful pink orchid-like blooms, usually before the foliage, which can drop for a short period. The pods are a bit larger than avocados and open to release seeds with silky floss. The floss can be used to stuff pillows and was used for floatation. The spikes on the green trunk can be removed when young and will not grow back, if you wish to have this in a public area. Beware that it can surface root and have thorns there as well. There is a white species that has a bulbous trunk.

Thumbnail by katrinas
Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Here is a picture of mature thorns - they are about 1-1 1/2 in.

Thumbnail by katrinas
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

That is so cool. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I am really pushing the zone on this one, but hoping that I have created enough of a microclimate.

Thumbnail by rylaff

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.