Lily Lovers Look here!

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Haven't seen any photos of true lilies, so thought I'd share a few from my garden. This one is Con Amore' an oriental.

Thumbnail by llilyfan

This is Casa Blanca also an oriental

Thumbnail by llilyfan

And Silk Road an orienpet

Thumbnail by llilyfan
Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Beautiful.........I especially love the Silk Road!!

"eyes"

Grady, AL(Zone 8a)

They are all just beautiful!!

Thanks all.

Here's another: Amarillo an asiatic

Thumbnail by llilyfan

And this one is 'Stones' an asiatic. This one has the heaviest waxy petals of all my lilies so far.

Thumbnail by llilyfan
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

oh pretty i just planted silk road! :)

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi llilyfan, where do you find to be a good source for bulbs other than our own coops? I saw a pretty good price in Van Englen; I have been thinking I would like to try Lollipop. I have so much better luck with Asiatics than Orientals. I would like to try the martagons.

Lenjo,

Our Lily Society gets most of our bulbs out in your neck of the woods! I've been buying hither and yon, and Pinetree has had the best bulbs of all that I've bought mail order. Of course I have only ordered from about 3 other places and none of them out your way.

I have the best luck with the asiatics and the L.A.'s, but the fragrance of the orientals keeps me trying some. Just planted Mr. Tall and Purple Sensation.

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Be sure to add your photos to the PDB. :)

North Tonawanda, NY(Zone 3a)

Yes please do add them. It helps those who have ordered a mixed lot or been given an unknown to make a possible ID. And the rest just love looking at beautiful pictures when the snow covers the ground and Spring seems so far away!

I know there are tons of lilies out there, please share your photos also.

This tiny beauty is 'Scarlet Turk's Cap

Thumbnail by llilyfan
Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Llilyfan,
Love your lily pictures. You have several wonderful varieties in your garden. Your close up of 'Stones' is terrific. Thanks for sharing not only your beautiful lilies, but your photographic talents as well.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I LOVE Lilies too! I just planted several Crinums, Orientals & Asiatics. Are you happy with the "orienpet" Lilies? I haven't tried that yet. Are they very fragrant also?

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

They're all just beautiful!!

iowaron,
good to see you here at Dave's, Stones is one of my favorites.

Shirley1md, I'll be better able to judge the orienpets next season. They both had beautiful flowers, but being the first year they were rather short and hidden in the bed. Silk Road's fragrance was wonderful.

MaryE, I haven't found one I don't like so far. This one came the closest to not being loved.

Hot Lips oriental

Thumbnail by llilyfan
Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I had some StarGazer, but have ordered and planted Muscadet and Dizzy. Do you have those? How do you like them?

woodspirit, no I don't have either one of those. Came close to getting them this fall, but had already spent more than I had intended. Let me know how yours do, you are a little more moderate in temps during the winter. I really have to baby the orientals, but they are worth it.

I have both of those lilies. Muscadet came back from last winter, first year for this Stargazer. Both are incredible lilies. Marco Polo also came back this spring. In zone 3 it is recommended that orientals be planted in the spring to get established over summer. I have had Golden Stargazer and Le Reve for 4 years, but lost Stargazer once before.

Thumbnail by echoes

echoes,
I'm so pleased to hear that for the most your orientals come back. We have such fluctuating temps during the winter that we need to mulch just to keep the ground from thawing and refreezing repeatedly. The wondrous perfuming throughout the garden is more than worth it all however.
Such a lovely picture, I can almost smell the perfume!

Here's another one:
Suncrest an L.A. Lily

Thumbnail by llilyfan
Little Falls, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's an Asiatic called Black Jack...very deep, almost black...your Silk Road is just gorgeous...

Thumbnail by tyke

Here's Lollypop.....very prolific bloomers and multiplys like crazy...one plant turns into at least 3-4 in a season...

Thumbnail by tyke

This is Tino's...and Asiatic...first planted the bulb this spring...one plant had 16 blooms on it...was gorgeous...

Thumbnail by tyke

Asiatic Rocket City

Thumbnail by tyke
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

This is a photo of Orienpet The Empress. I posted it once before but don't remember where or when. It is a very sturdy tall growing lily, but not particularly fragrant. Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive

llilyfan, that Silk Road is so gorgeous. I'm wondering what breeder it's from. It has similar look of Northern Carillon.

Tyke, I love your Blackjack. I'm going to shop for one of those. Dark shades are my faves.

This one is Night Flyer. So many gorgeous asiatics are up-facing. At over 3 feet tall, it's hard to appreciate them unless you can put them in a spot to look down on them. I'm going to get more outfacing lilies like this one.

Thumbnail by echoes
Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

Hello Echoes,
I like the outfacing Asiatics also. Among my favorites is 'Iowa Rose'.

Thumbnail by Iowaron

Iowaron - Beautiful pic of a beautiful lily.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I like the orientals the best but am going to try some of the trumpets and orienpets if I can find room for them, lol.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi all, darius was kind enough to put up this hyperlink to get to lilies. I've received some lilies through arbor day and need to know if there is any special planting needed and if there will be overcrowding and how far apart should I plant? Thanks, Denise

echoes, tyke, rutholive, iowaron: Thanks for all the lovely pictures.

I also love the outfacing lilies and am trying to increse those in my garden.

Denise, you didn't mention which types you received, but most lilies like full sun or at least sun for a good part of the day. Moist, but well drained soil rich in organic matter. They should be planted about 3 times the height of the bulb deep. Madonna lilies being an exception only 1-2 inches deep. If you plant them fairly close together 6-8 inches apart for a group they'll look like they've been there for awhile. Clumps/groupings should be about 2foot apart for air circulation. Of course all this depends on the mature size of the lily also and how long you want to let them multiply without lifting and dividing.

Asiatics like sun for most of the day and they tend to increase the most rapidly.

Orientals like a soil on the acidic side, and can take shade especially in the heat of the afternoon.
Iowaron is more experienced with lilies and can add to or correct anything that I've said. Good luck with the lilies.

Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

Great lily information llilyfan, You have covered all the important stuff. I like to grow lilies where the early morning sun can dry the dew off the plants as soon as possible. I've found that in our gardens we suffer less insect damage and fungus related disease on those lilies that are dried off by the morning sun. Open shade in the hot Iowa afternoons is, as Martha says, "a good thing".

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks llilyfan, They're called mountain lilies suppose to have flowering height of 12" to 20". Thanks all for all the great info. Denise

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Gosh, Ron
Don't know how we missed you. You need to be coming to
our Iowa DG round-ups. You are not even that far from Chariton!

Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the invitation TwinLakesChef. You'll have to fill me in on the details of a round-up, as I'm relatively new to Dave's Garden. My membership was kick started by the beautiful lily pictures posted by Llilyfan.

Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

hello, i have a kinda stupid question... is it just some oriental lilies that have fragrance? or do all oriental lilies have fragrance just some stronger then others... or how does that work? also do the other lilies that arent oriental have any fragrance? any info would be much appritiated.. thanx!
chrissy

chrissy, now mind you I am not an expert here, but so far all of my orientals have nice fragrances. A couple of them I can smell from the driveway about 20 feet from the bed. So far none of my asiatics have any fragrance. My trumpets so far are all fragrant ( I only had ONE this last season! ) My Silk Road orienpet was very fragrant, but Scherazade had no fragrance for me. It was it's first year in my garden so was not a mature specimen.

Ron, I mentioned that my Dave's Garden group got together for a day of meeting, fun, food, and plant trading. That's our Iowa Round-up, and we are planning another one for 2004 in May I believe. Thanks for the nice comments, it means alot coming from you.

tomden, is it possible that your mountain lilies are actually 'Ixiolirion' rather than "Lilium'. True lilies are scale type bulbs. No matter the flowers are lovely on both. I also have "Sky Blue Lilies" which are ixiolirion.

Sue

This message was edited Nov 21, 2003 12:19 AM

Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

hi sue, thanx for the info.. ur Silk Road orienpet , is that an oriental or....what kind is it... what season do the nurserys usualy sell them??? i got 5 star-gazer lilies off of ebay for 5.00 ...shipping i think was 3 or 4 bucks.... is that an ok price? they state they are bloom size.. and give the measurments of the bulbs,,, i have just now gotten an intrest in the fragrant lilies... last tuesday my sister had her baby and i bought her some flowers to give her at the hospital.. and happened to pick a stem of stargazers with two huge flowers on them... the smell was intoxicating, i couldnt stop smelling them... then i left the room for about a half hour and came back and the entire room smelled of these two lilies... now i am addicted to fragrant lilies.. i am sure i will come around to some of the non-fragrant lilies after i get my "fix" of the yummy smelling ones...(: ur pics are to die for by the way!!!! i have saved some of them to put in my screensaver...(: anyway thanx again sue!!!!
chrissy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.