Night Blooming Cereus, Queen of the Night, Dutchman's Pipe (Epiphyllum oxypetalu

Homer, LA

Common name: Night Blooming Cereus, Queen of the Night, Dutchman's Pipe
Family: Cactaceae
Genus: Epiphyllum
Species oxypetalum

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/2443/

Thumbnail by ford3728
Rossville, GA

I had never seen a cereus fruit before. Thanks for posting this photo.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Hmmmm... are you SURE? Queen of the Night (Epiphyllum Oxypetalum) usually looks like this: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/2443/index.html

I have an Epi that blooms red, but it's not Oxypetalum. I think it's called "Original Red" but not certain.

Thumbnail by darius
nelspruit,

My queen of the night looks like Darius's as well. And, correct me if I am wrong, but the "dutchmans pipe" is not an epiphyte, I am from South Africa where the dutchmans pipe is indigenous, it is a deciduous creeper with a brown, cream and yellow flower which looks exactly like a pipe! Treated mostly as a weed because it gets out of hand, I love it because of how different the flower is.

Jamshedpur, India(Zone 10a)

hi!
> > I am in love with the red And pink orchid cactus ,i
> have a white
> > one in my balclony but very much interseted to buy
> the red and pink can you help it can grow from a leaf also.
> > please reply i stay in the east part of India
> > regards
> > Jasmine
> > 09835121148
>
>

Thumbnail by jasminebugli
Tucson, AZ(Zone 11)

Yes, I'd be most interested to know the exact name of your plant, it's not a cereus, they are succulents, whether they are queen types'; or the desert Night Blooming Cereus, which is an upright, many branched beauty, blue green, with multi-one night blooms, no fragrance, they are all CACTUS, all cactus naturally being succulents, but not all succulents are cactus. Your plant is beautiful, but doesn't resemble a cactus, after all. Please recheck, you might ask your local nursery or your local garden extention center, they're there to solve these ????'s. Good luck and PLEASE LET US KNOW. PLEASE understand, the reason we're all into your plant, is after all, we'd like to have one also, but we've got to know what it is first, right? Thanks a million, beautiful flower!

This message was edited Jun 16, 2008 6:22 AM

Nederland, TX

I would really love to have one of those plants Jamine! What state do you live in. I'm in Southeast Texas and would love to be able to grow this plant.

Debbie

Weslaco, TX(Zone 9b)

Jasmine has a very beautiful plant that looks very much like my Christmas cactus. Just a bigger flower. I have a cactus that I have never been able to identify. It grows very tall,approximately 6 ft. It blooms only at night & has a very delicate citrusie smell. It is a white bloom about 6" across. Every year it seems to have many more blooms,so many that I don't know how this very skinny plant holds them all. They only last one night. If anyone knows what this plant is I would like to know. It is very easy to propagate by cuttings. Thanks all!

Nederland, TX

I see now that Jasmine is in India! My word I'll never get one of these plants..

Nederland, TX

Mommie can you up load a photo of that plant?

Nederland, TX

Heres my plant.

Thumbnail by dsloane

dsloane, your plant IS a real, true Epiphyllum oxypetalum, aka Queen of the Night, and "Mommie's" plant sounds the same.

Nederland, TX

I love this plant! It has put off so many blooms this year and last year. I re-potted it in the spring and it has grown new shoots. I little piece was giving to me and it has grown this big in just two years! I would love to get a few different kinds.

Don't re-pot too much... they bloom better if root-bound.

Nederland, TX

It has put off over 60 blooms since I have re-potted, but I do think what you say is true. Last year it didn't stop blooming! Just beautiful. I love this thread. I can talk about what I love the most. Plants and growing.

You should look at the Forum devoted to Epies... lots of folks post there on many threads.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/episetc/all/

Weslaco, TX(Zone 9b)

Hi Y'all; dsloane,the plant you have is not my plant. Although a beautiful plant it doesn't look anything like mine. What color flower is it? What does it smell like? darius; My plant is very tall,skinny & round. It's about 3" around & very,very spiny (prickly). I wish I had a camera so I could send a pic,but I don't. It's on my wish list. It' starting to set buds again. What a plant it never quits! BTW my plant grows in the ground. I don't think it could grow in a pot because it is so tall. A good wind would blow it over. I will research it further. Thanks for your input!!

Nederland, TX

Here it is again. I just took this today. It has grown even more and putting off blooms like crazy. What a beautiful plant. I enjoy this plant more than any I have.

Thanks for the info Mommie. I sure wish I could see a photo of your plant.

Thumbnail by dsloane
Nederland, TX

Another veiw

Thumbnail by dsloane
Nederland, TX

And another one.

Thumbnail by dsloane
Nederland, TX

Sorry but two of them are the same. I can't find where to delete....

Thumbnail by dsloane
Nederland, TX

The ones above where taken last night. This was taken this morning at six am!

Thumbnail by dsloane
Nederland, TX

WOW!

Thumbnail by dsloane
Puyallup, WA(Zone 8b)

dsloane I think you have e. hookeri, not e. oxepetalum. I just went through several weeks of waiting for my plant to bloom in order to get it correctly ID'd, and mine looks just like yours. Check out this link: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2100/

I am also wondering if the original photo in the post is also of e. hookeri and not oxepetalum

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

The original photo is of the fruit that forms when a bloom is pollinated. Most times we don't see that in this type of plant. Can you give me examples of why that photo may be of a different species? I'd be happy to move the photo if necessary, but I can't find any references that prove it's incorrect.

Puyallup, WA(Zone 8b)

I really don't have any scientific reasons other than the blooms just look..... different, LOL.

Here is one of e. hookeri: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/27020/

and here is e. oxepetalum: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/93247/

I wish I knew plant terminology.... but I will try to describe the differences I see. First is the pink (stamen maybe?) in the e. hookeri flower... I don't see that in the e. oxepetalum (it may just be the angle of the picture though). Then there are the petals - the hookeri have long thin petals, and the oxepetalum have some petals that are short and fat along with some longer thin ones.

Am I making any sense or have I just made it more confusing, LOL

I really am no expert, I just wanted to open it up for discussion to see what others who may know better think

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I think what we all might be missing is that the first photo in this thread is of the fruit that forms AFTER the bloom is pollinated and done, not the actual bloom forming. Does that help?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm with rntx22, I think she has Hookerii fruit instead of Oxy.....more exploration of the plant's blooms and fruits are needed here. We need expert panel to judge on this one. :-)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

For a start, here is another Hookerii's fruit posted by another DGer:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/60776/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.