Thursday 23, 2003

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

What a lovely day we have outside today. I'm really stiff and sore this morning but have just now taken my meds so I'll feel much better soon. Then we have to go to town and get some business done.

I got some shrubs and a couple baskets of tulip bulbs planted at the cafe' yesterday evening. I have several more holes about ready for the baskets of bulbs. I finally got the bulb booster the other day so the bulbs should do quite well in the spring. I'll be so glad to get this done. We also have the canna to get idendified by clump and cut off/dug. I need to more some dianthus and a couple other perennials out of one bed and put into the perennial bed. There is a lovely big Gopher Spurge plant that one of the older owners wants me to pot up for the winter. She is quite taken with the appearance of the plant. I think I have starts of both of the sweet potato plants they have. If not, I'll take some cuttings to try to keep over the winter. They still have dozens of tomatoes on their plants. I need to check ours more closely. I know we have green ones out there. I'm quite hungry for some fried green tomatoes again. I hope Jack can eat some too. That is the only way Kyle will eat fresh tomatoes. I've tried keeping green tomaotes to let them ripen off the vine but wasn't too successful. We did have enough keep tho that we were able to have fresh tomatoes off our own vines for Christmas dinner. But I threw away more than I was able to keep.

KathyJo, I'm sorry to hear your new mare has sprained her ankle. Are you keeping it wrapped or using any kind of ointment on it? Do you have any idea how she hurt herself?

Anastasia ratnic is much better today. The sore is now drying up well and the dead skin around it is falling off daily. She certainly is glad to be back in the big cage with Marie.

I must close and go get some work done around here. The floors are begging to be cleaned. I don't even want to look at the walnut and cherry woodwork.

GOD bless and keep each and all of you.
EvaMae

I went outside to do the bird chores and discovered that one of our banty hens had hatched out chicks. At first count there were 6, but then I heard more cheeping and found 5 more. I moved the chicks and mommy to a big cage the breezeway. There were 4 more eggs yet to hatch that were still warm so I moved them in and under her too. Then I found another banty hen setting on a nest. Nothing like fall chicks!! I think we did this a couple years ago too.

This message was edited Oct 23, 2003 11:32 AM

This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!