Collecting seed?

Murfreesboro, TN

My husband and I had a discussion yesterday about collecting seed. I have been gathering wildflower seed from the side of the road for several years. We were in Home Depot yesterday afternoon and around some of the perennial pots, I noticed some seed 'pods', lying on the ground. Have any of you ever picked up seed this way? We were trying to decide if it would be stealing or cleaning up their trash? Now, I'm not asking you to confess to anything illegal, just wanted some opinions! At Christmas, they have given me cuttings from the Christmas trees they trim. I've used them with my scouts to make wreaths. I'm sure I could ask but before I made a fool of myself, I wanted to see what others have done. Susan

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Susan, your question rang some bells. We had a thread a while back that went over some "ethics" of plant/seed "rustling". Here it is if you want to check it out: http://davesgarden.com/showthread/4745.html

I personally think that a seed pod on the floor of Home Depot is fair game, as it's just going to get swept away (they aren't going to try to propagate it.) A small nursery, I'd ask first.

Small nurseries, on the other hand, are more likely to share cuttings and small divisions free of charge. I went out to a nursery on Windrow Road the other day, and she had some Zebrina mallow growing in front. I asked her if they had any for sale, and while she was telling me that they didn't, she was grabbing a pot and digging out a division for me. Wouldn't take anything for it.

Murfreesboro, TN

go_vols,
Do you know the name of the nursery in Christiana that grows herbs? I used to remember it and always planned to go but then promptly forgot the name of the place. susan

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Sorry, I don't - in fact, Christiana's on my list of "destination spots" for a visit this summer with the kids. We really need to get out and explore more! If I see it, I'll let you know. And anytime you want to meet and walk through old homesteads/new subdivisions, let me know, okay?

Murfreesboro, TN

I'll email you my phone number. We can get most, if not all the kids together and have them go with us, if we want to. Of course, I'm sure it would be lots quieter if it's just us. That way we won't have to listen to "How much longer do we have to do this???".
I did notice another nursery, Carter Farms(I think that's the name), on my way home today. I pass it all the time but just haven't paid close attention to it. Where is the one on Windrow Rd.? That's not too far from me. Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.