Most of the harvest

(Zone 5a)

There were just a few left on the vine that I hadn't picked when I took this photo.

Thumbnail by windsurffer

Looks like you got a pretty good crop; considering all the wet weather you have had.
Boy, are you going to be busy decorating those up.

(Zone 5a)

Your right but now I am going to busy scraping them so they can dry faster, that in its self is a job...wheewww!!

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Good luck with your drying, Wind :) I've had about 60% success...

(Zone 5a)

Thanks Morph, are you going to scrape yours?
I also want to say thanks for your gourd gift, every time I look at it I smile and think of you.

Crossville, TN

Wind...I haven't had as much success drying mine after scraping them...do you scrape them right after you pick them?

Morph...I too love my little Shakere...I showed it to my DD this morning...her comment: Neat!!

Jo

(Zone 5a)

No I don't have the time to scrap them right after I bring them in its just whenever I get to them before the fungus among gets to them.

If they are mature then you won't have too many problems but they do distort some no matter if you scrape or not, especially if they are not mature.

Wow,Is that an Apple gourd in the middle?
It looks huge.

(Zone 5a)

Yes it is and all the apples were extra large this year.

This message was edited Oct 25, 2003 11:16 PM

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

No scraping here... Hadn't heard of that before. Glad you liked your gifts ☺ My first attempt at creativity with gourds! I hope to do more things, but am not sure which direction to go... So many things you can do but I do like burning designs for certain!

(Zone 5a)

The two apples that I have scraped are almost dry. I can't wait until the swan gourd I bought yesterday dries, I just finshed scraping it last night, I know exactly what I am going to do with it.

I am trying to come up with something unusual to do with some of mine. I had a few ideas but just got to find a way to make it work.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

My mind is circling with ideas... At the moment I am considering vases or pots. But, if I pursue that route, I need to make the container water proof. Any ideas on how I might accomplish that?

Thx :)

(Zone 5a)

You have to buy a sealant, a polyurethane would be good for this purpose but if your going to use it for food then I suggest you use a butcher's block sealer.

Windsurffer,if you decide to trade a few of those huge Apple gourd seeds,I sure would like some. Maybe,I can find something you are looking for in return.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Wind! No food yet, just thinking of plant containers :)

(Zone 5a)

Bitty I sure will keep you in mind.

Your welcome Morph.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.