Cymbidiums

Thousand Oaks, CA

I have several orchids in overstuffed pots- all Cymbidiums, and all bloom on their own schedules, even though they're all kept in the same environment (outside under the Ash tree)... some bloom in February and some don't bloom until June or July... and the same every year, even though they look the same, and some of similar colors as well. Also have Dendrobiums in the ground (but no flowers in full shade). Most other species do not do well outdoors here.

[ Removed by member request. - Admin ]

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

Love Cyms - have 2 but I dont have the room for more. I believe dends like some sun to bloom. Wasnt aware that dends can be planted in the ground. I have a small collection of phals, dends, cattleyas, and misc. others under lights. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up here in NY to move everyone outside for the summer.

Biel, Switzerland(Zone 7a)

BotanyBob,you are very lucky to be able to keep Orchids outside.I only have the Cymb. outside for now and it does get quite a bit of sun..should it be in shade?
kHT..38 orchids? Wow what devotion!

[ Removed by member request. - Admin ]

(Zone 6a)

Cymbidiums are sun lovers with some shade and likes to be overcrowded with regular feedings. Happy leaves are usually a light green color. Cymbidiums prefer to be outside with a gentle breeze, cool temperatures but will tolerate some heat. Cymbidiums are one of my favorites with their wonderful long lasting blooms. For more detailed culture info on cymbidiums, see: http://www.cymbidium.org/culture.html

Petaluma, CA

GWist, sun & Cymbidiums depends on where you are! Here just north of SanFrancisco they'll fry in the summer if left in full sun.

Melbourne, FL(Zone 9a)

I really don't want to harp on this, but as I said before; if you are interested in growing orchids, please buy a book on them. They are not as easy to grow as one might think. I speak from experience-I had 2,000 at one time. The most important things orchids need are: light, air circulation, and water, but the growing conditions and medium differ for the different species. You need to know which ones require more light, less light, more water, when to water in order to get blooms, and which ones need no sun, etc. Start by buying a Sunset book on orchids, or one put out by Ortho, or any other cheap book you can pick up at your gardening centers. Please don't waste your money on a beautiful orchid, and just ASSUME it needs this, or that. If you do, you may lose your investment. Look in your community to see if they have an orchid club. They are invaluable to you, and a lot of fun. It's just a lot of people like yourself, that are there to learn how to grow orchids. I hope this helps you.

This message was edited Friday, Jun 22nd 8:33 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.