Looking Forward to the Coming of Spring

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

When October comes I make bulb containers. Among them the one I always make is that of white tulips and white phloxes .

This message was edited Oct 18, 2003 9:32 AM

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Ten tulip bulbs are placed closely in the container 30cm in diameter.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

To finish up I plant three divided phloxes and look eagerly forward all winter to the arrival of spring.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I love your picture of the tulip and phlox. It looks so pretty and easy to do.....Can you use other bulbs such as Daffodils or Narcissus? Would the timeing be about the same?
:o) Dee

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Thank you so much,WW,for your reply.
Yes, you can use other bulbs too.
Narcissus and Iris can be planted from the middle of October here. Last year I planted the double
Narcissus`Rip@Van@Winef

This message was edited Oct 20, 2003 1:05 PM

This message was edited Oct 20, 2003 3:22 PM

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

And this is close -up.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

And Iris reticulata is another pleasure in early spring.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

This is Tulipa clusiana `Lady Jane'.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

This is another Tulipa species,Tulipa clusiana Cynthia .

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Lovely offerings, TomTom! I've not had too much luck with bulbs....yet. But I am new to the game....

PV

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

PVic bulbs are very rewarding. If you can spend a small amount of time planning and planting, you will not regret it! The joy of the bulb is in the surprise because of the delay. Everything is already included in the bulb itself so after months of neglect, Lo and Behold-a flower.
TomTom how lovely to look forward instead of regretting the end of the season. As always, you offer a beautiful array to anticipate. Thank You.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

PV,bulbs are surely rewarding like Sunrize rightly says.
Why don't you try a bulb container or two for the the coming spring?

``````````
Sunrize,thank you so much for explainging what I think@leaving nothing unsaid. Every time I find a bulb sprouting up I can realize the coming of spring. That's why I make several bulb containers at the end of the season. Tulips of not so rare kinds could be made an attractive display of.
This is the pic of the three commonly found Tulip containers on display which are deliberately made in the same way.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Last year, I made my very first layered pot of bulbs - Darwin hybrid tulips, crocus "Pickwick" and "Firefly", and anemone blanda (with a few daffodils thrown in for good measure). The past winter here was brutal; nothing at all came up. When I dug up the pot, I found they had all turned to mush - I think with the exception of two tulip bulbs. My asiatic lily pot didn't fare much better.

But I fully intend to try again - I'll try a pot of crocuses for the spring and I've got oriental and species lilies for this coming summer.

Think I'll stick to one type per pot until I know what I'm doing.

Meanwhile, I'll just enjoy yours, TomTom!

PV

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Thank you very much PV,for your reply. It is apparent from between the lines that you're a person of fine artistic sensibility.
Isn't that a shame the layered pot of luxurious bulbs you made didn't fare well?
I tried layered containers of bulbs,too,without much success. That makes me think they might not be natural enough.
Think I'll stick to one type per pot until I know what
I'm doing.
So,what you think and intend to do is quite natural and even advisable. These days I myself stick to@one type,or two at the very most,per pot. In the case of tulip etcDChowever ,I often place on the top such small plants as sweet alyssums, violas ,etc. During the winter@time you're most likely to forget watering the pots, but if you place the small plants and they wilt,that serves as a good reminder of watering DIt is said , and as you probably know, that the biggest reason for the tulips' unflowering is that their roots are dried up during the winter because of the neglect of watering.
Have you ever tried grape hyacinths, PV?
Grape hyacinths and Tulips flower almost the same time, and the chemistry they have for each other is, I think,obvious.

Wishing you good luck with bulbs,
TT.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I planted over 250 bulbs in containers this year, some layered, some single layers. I had really good luck with them last year, so thought I'd try it again, but with many more bulbs. Hope I have good luck next spring. And I'm hoping all my perennials will make it through and maybe even bloom!

Thumbnail by revclaus
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hello,revclaus,

What lovely bulb containers ! Could you tell me what bulbs you planted layered this year?

Yesterday I planted those of Eremurus and mini Iris.
This is the first time that I planted Eremurus.
Over Eremurus are planted violas

Wishing you good luck with the 250 bulbs,
TT

This message was edited Oct 27, 2003 2:57 PM

Thumbnail by Tomtom
(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi TomTom, I planted:

anemone blanda
winter aconite
iris reticulata (they look something like the ones you had last year)
dutch iris (they're not quite planted yet, I ran out of pots)
muscari "Christmas Pearl"
Tulips (Heart's Delight - a kaufmanniana)
Tulips (humilis violacea - also a kaufmanniana, I think)
Tulips (Single Late pastel mix)
Oriental lilies - Stargazer
Asiatic lilies - Shirley
Narcissus - Hawera
Narcissus - Tracy

I have three large (22") pots full of different combinations, and about 4 pots with single selections. And then the Dutch iris which will have to go somewhere.

What about you? What have you planted for next year?

Judith

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Thanks a lot,rev.
Bulbs in great varietyI On the list I find some I haven't tried so far.- winter aconite, T.kaufmanniana,etc.You'llsurely be able to enjoy wonderful bulb containers in spring.

The bulbs I have planted or am going to plant this autumn are (practically all bulbs are sold at@a@discount in late autumn here I): Eremurus,Anemone blanda,A.nemorosa,
Iris reticulata,some Tulip species ,T.eAngelice',white Tulip,several kinds of lilies,Fritillaria,etc. _(^o^)^

Let's look forward to coming of spring together.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Well, I'm just awe struck, you've certainly given me more than a few ideas of what to do with my tulips and alliums this next spring!! This and the winter sowing sure have my engines stoked!!!

"eyes"

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hello,eyes!
I'm so glad to hear that I'm of some help for you.
This fall I sowed lots of seeds such as a variety of Tropaeolum,Campanula, Delph. etc.
And a large number of annuals as well.
So will my engines have stoked when they germinate,TVM.

TT

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.