Soap and paper making

I can't believe how difficult it is to make hand made soap for sale! I can fully understand why certain rules are in place but it was never this complicated until the EU got their hands on the legislation. I have to find a chemist to take samples and then (if the tests work out fine) I have to apply for a licence for each and every recipe used. OK that's fair enough but it can cost anywhere between £75 to £200 per recipe (for the USD price x that by 1.5) Do other countries have a similar situation?

OK rant over, does anyone here make their own paper and what do you use for colourants? I don't want to use a laundry dye with so much in the garden and my initial recipe will include onion skins for a pinkish buff colour. Anyone use anything else?

This thread has 10 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!