Late Bloomer

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Well finally a dahlia, not as pretty as it was supposed to be for a peppermint, but a bloom none the less.

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Another angle, it is quite pretty, but where are the white stripes?

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Take a look at how difficult it was to tie it up, now tied to the garage window and bar stool LOL!

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Isn't this blooming a bit late?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Not really, I still have lots of blooms.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Key word being Still lenjo. Mine are just now beginning, so won't amount to much I am afraid.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Hopefully, there will be enough oomph to at least get enough to save for the next season. It may not make lots of tubers but at least a few to save over for the next season. I planted the dahlia imperialis this year and I don't think I will see a bloom before frost. Hopefully though I can get it through the winter. Not sure whether I should mulch heavily or dig it up. Our winters are not extremely severe but very wet so I worry more about rot than freezing.What do you think?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

But it's soooooo pretty!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I have always dug mine in the past, but since I got such a poor showing this season, think I'll just pull this peppermint and one or two others and purchase new tubers next spring.
Thanks Dea, I have one in an arrangement inside and will snip this one this eve as they are calling for cold, wind and storms.
BTW, if that is the case, I sure hope they install our new furnace soon LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.