Cold weather shade bloomer?

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

I have a wall hanging planter that has a beautiful double impatient in it as it is on a shaded north facing wall. Now I know the impatient will die off soon and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a winter bloomer (like pansies, dianthus, snapdragons,etc...) that will be good in full shade???

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

How about a perennial helleborus? Of course, they don't bloom until winter so you'd just have leaves until then. Since the flowers face down, you'd have a good look at them in your planter!
http://plantsdatabase.com/search.php?search_text=helleborus&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

I have 4 of those waiting to go in the ground. Do you think they'd do okay with only a half a hanging basket's worth of soil?

I really don't have much experience with them.

I still have 3-4 that vic gave me last fall outside in 4" pots and they are still doing fine and growing. The one she gave me that was larger was in the ground over-winter and had blooms for a long time this year. One of the "babies" even bloomed in its pot.

Why not try putting 1 or 2 in the pot, and the rest in the ground? That way you can monitor each and see how they do.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

lol mine are still in the 4" pots from the coop too! I think I will put one in there. thanks darius :)

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hello,ecobioangieA

In Japan we have been planting flowering cabbages for winter.@We plant them not only in the bed, but in containers and hanging baskets too.
Every winter I make several hanging baskets with small-sized flowering cabbages.
This is one of thier pictures.

Thumbnail by Tomtom

Tomtom,your flowering cabbage basket is beautiful!!
How did you get it to look like one big ball?
Do you start your plants from seeds?

That's gorgeous, isn't it?

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

That's beautiful TomTom! :) Unfortunately, all I can get is the regular sized ones. Do they do okay in shade?

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi,christmascactus,
Thanks a lot for your compliment.
The cabbages in the pic are planted closely.
They have such properties that they don't grow much during the winter after they get colored. That's why you could display them this way.

The ones of this size must be treated with growth retardant,and so they are bought at a supplier.
I grow two different kinds of regular-sized ones from seeds . They grow quickly and I love to see them bigger evey day.

``````````
darius,thanks a lot for taking a look ata my pic.
It is always nice to hear from you.

``````````

Yes,ecobioangieAregular-sized ones are okay,too.These days a great variety of flowering cabbages are available here in winter.Some even remind us of rosesI
This is a basket of regular-sized ones with some other plants.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

This is a pot of the combination of regular-and large-sized ones.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2003 11:46 PM

Thumbnail by Tomtom

Tomtom,your planters are always gorgeous.
Does the hanging baskets have holes around the sides,too.
Sorry if this has been asked before.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

christmascactus,

Yes,these baskets have some slits around the sides.
So we can easily put the plants in them.

left pic is big one (W30~D180~H24(cm) 5 slits
right pic is small one (v25~c15~g22(cm) 3 slits

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Tomtom,Your pictures are a never-ending source of pleasure!You must truly be a person with a soul as beautiful as your garden.
Pati

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow! Something new for us to grow! Thanks for sharing...

Tomtom,I'm always in awe with your growing techniques & beautiful plants.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

patischell,Wandasflowers,christmascactus,

Thanks a lot for your compliment which is far more than I actually deserve.

This message was edited Oct 29, 2003 10:15 PM

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

Which is the best mail order company from which to buy your helleborus?? I have 3 now and really like them. Thanks. Karen (liebran)

Thumbnail by liebran
Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Here is a list of nurseries for Heleborus. You can check these websites in Garden Watchdog to see how they rate. http://davesgarden.com/ps/search.php?search_text=Helleborus

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

anyone know where we can buy baskets like tomtom has?? tomtom.....do you buy the baskets locally or on a website....they are gorgeous...but i would like to do the same as you but don't know where to buy the baskets...

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi,sticks_n_stones,

Check the following thread:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/596241/#new

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i went to kindergarden in japan....thanks for the link

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow! I love those baskets. Very pretty and very unusual. Wish I could find some here in the US.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

me too....if i hear from heathr i will let you know....suppossedly they ordered from them but i haven't heard anything after that...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.