Here Kitty Kitty!

southeast, NE

Last week, officials caught a mountain lion, also known as a puma, right smack dab in the middle of Omaha. Tonight the news is reporting that there have been other sightings in Omaha of a second one that may have been a relative to the first one caught. So everyone is on the lookout for this big cat and officials are telling people to keep their cats and dogs in at night. What I find a bit humorous about this is that farmers and ranchers have been claiming for years that there have been moutain lions in eastern Nebraska and the Game and Parks people have been giving them the "yeah sure" attitude.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

I'd hate to find one of them big kitties digging in my garbage can...;)

Edited.

This message was edited May 19, 2005 11:22 AM

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

Do panthers really sound like a crying baby?

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

They do that kind of thing everywhere. They deny a critter's existence, especially something like a mountain lion or say a bear, becuase folks might get scared and try to kill them. You know, the old "kill or be killed" attitude. It's very unfortunate. I still remember as a child in WI seeing little brown bats flying around by a stream in the downtown right across from the movie theater. The town always denied having any bats, and most certainly not a bat problem. A newspaper photographer took our picture while we were watching the bats fly around, and when it was published in the newspaper it said we were watching swallows. I knew then and I still know now the difference between a bat and a tree swallow--or barn swallow or purple martin!

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

that aint nuttin. We have two Pumas at large about 25 miles from my house.

Northport, ME(Zone 5b)

Our only "Bat Problem" is not enough. We only have Little Browns and not enough of them. Any Maine guide will tell you there are Pumas in Maine. They are just figuring out the Bobcat and Lynx may be related and/or the same here. Saw a Pine Marten on the river last month. We got too close in the canoe so he took his frog inland. The only scary wildlife here is Bubba with a few beers in him. Frank.

Lilburn, GA(Zone 8a)

Did you happen to read about the mountain lions that have been on the rampage in the Denver, CO area? The article was in a very recent Readers Digest. Their increase in population and becoming so dangerous is probably because we are encroaching into their area. The article does not paint a pretty picture.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

Just finished reading that - whoa

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

it's always man's fault yet the animals get blamed

Penfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Found this article about it:

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2003/10/07/sports/outdoors/990f9c831825bc0e86256db6000d837f.txt

We are such a successful species that we are pushing other species into new behaviors. Encounters are sure to happen more. This article gives good advice on what to do.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Moose Jaw has had reports of Mountain Lions being spotted
in our city's River Park. This year a mother and her
cubs were sighted, not only by locals, but also by a city
worker, a police officer and a wildlife official. People
that live in the park were notified but it was only
published in the paper weeks later. Her den was in the
park...less than 3 miles from our downtown. No one was
hurt and no pets were lost...her presence may have explained
why some large deer have been spotted well within city limits. Thankfully she and her cubs moved on without
incident...I was so glad that their visit ended well.

Pittsburgh, PA

You have pumas in the UK?????

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.