Blue cactus

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Does anyone know why my blue cactus is not as blue as it was when I got it a year or so ago? It's planted on the east side of my house.

Thumbnail by judyb
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

If that is Pilosocereus azurus, then it's because it's probably not getting enough full sun. These become bluer the more sun they get... and same goes for heat... the hotter it is, the bluer they get. Mine is bright blue and has a nice fluff/puff on it's 'head', here in So Cal. I will try to post photos of this genus later.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks for your response. I assumed they couldn't take full sun in Phoenix in the summer, but I will see that it gets more, especially now that it's a little cooler.

And yes, It is Pilosocereus azureum. I'll look forward to your photos.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Here's one now

Thumbnail by palmbob
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow! That's purdy. :-)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks all!
You just saved me having to post for an ID.
I just picked up a few of these Saturday.

Ric

Valley Village, CA

I just wish the whole punch of you would buy your plants at stores where they put on the names of them. There are cheap used cactus books on a site that I know of. Invest a few dollars in a book, then you won't be having this problem, of course this forum would have to shut down because we would know every thing and no questions to ask.
Cactus grow is full hot sun to get the maximum color. They should have regular water/ and thoroughly, be sure to change the soil when you get new plants. And also fertilize them after every watering if you use a liq. fert.
They even may have to go into a larger plant if you want them to grow larger, when doing this take off all the old soil, and spread the roots in the new so they can breath.

Visit me at the Huntington Gardens, so I can show off our collection of 8000+ cactis amd succulents, join a cactus and succulent group. You will learn so much. You are all invited to join mine. Let me know where you live and I will look up the closest one to you.

You will get back what you contribute to the hobby, study, it will pay off. Learn so that you may help others, share so the species will not die out.
Never, never steal a plant from nature, those are not our plants, but belong to God and all of us. If you ask for a piece most of us will share, but you must also must learn to share. The end Norma

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Actually Norma I did buy these at a reputable nursery.
The problem is that unless you're located in a climate suitable for cactus growing there are not many stores that are willing to spend the time or money to carry named varieties.
They are at best here a curiosity in most plant stores, as they are not big money-makers.
Also the few larger cacti and succulents around carry a VERY heavy price out of their growing range, either in shipping costs or register prices.

One does what one can w/ the plants and monetary resources available.

Unfortunately the local C&S society is not an option due to scheduling so I've chosen to join the one here ;-)

Ric

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Like Ric, I live in a zone where many cacti and succulents are not hardy, and I do not see them often in stores. I will buy what I do see and not worry if they are not named for the time being. Now that I have a greenhouse there will be room to start collecting some as I see them. I will look for books to help identify what I get or post pictures here to see if anybody knows what they are. Oh, and welcome to the forum Ric.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I have a lot of books and I can often narrow it down to what genus my cactus belongs to, but determining for sure the species seems to require a lot more expertise than I have, and also a plant in bloom. Photos in books tend to emphasize the flowers, unless the shape of the plant itself is very unique. That's the way it seems to me anyways.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.