Clematis "Florida Sieboldii"

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I know I shouldn't let it bloom but I just had to see if it was a pretty in person...and it is

I have it in a hanging basket in the GH since its not hardy up here,I'll pinch off all the blooms after this so it can put its energy into growing.This is from the co-op

Thumbnail by crestedchik
Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I would have done the same thing CC. I am very impatient and would not have wanted to wait for another time to see what it looked like. It will be worth the wait now and you will not be dissapointed.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Congratulations C.C.!! Beautiful blooms to brighten up your day! Clematis get more flowers as they age and look even better with each passing year!!!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i let mine bloom too and now shes coming inside with me!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Those are such pretty flowers; no wonder you let them bloom! I have two buds on a clematis from Shirley's co-op that I'm still waiting to bloom, snap a photo and then wait til spring!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh that is a wonderful picture! I just got seed for these but have not planted yet. Was excited to see your posting & to get to see a "real" picture of them. As pretty as I was hoping they would be!
Tell me why you would pinch off the buds? Is this just to encourage more foliage? Well I don't blame you. I would not have the heart to pinch of a bud either. :~)

It depends on which variety/group of Clematis that you are growing. Group I-no pruning necessary. Group II - light pruning. Usually the top 1/3 of the plant. Group III - hard pruning, which is about 1ft above the soil level. Pruning actually encourages the plant to grow more vigorously, thereby producing more buds. Pruning also prevents a Clematis from having "knobby knees" or that "bare look", where you can see spindly vines at the bottom and beautiful foliage at the top. Pruning Clematis encourages the plant to put forth more vines & flowers, thereby creating a more lush and beautiful specimen.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Shirley,
but tell me, how do you know what category your clematis falls into? What category is the Florida Sieboldii? I grow other clematis too, this was the first year, and they look leggy yet they bloomed. I would like to have a reference list so I take proper care of them. They are too lovely to neglect.
Do you have any links that you would recommend for a reference?

Here is a link to the International Clematis Society's page on pruning the various types of Clematis. Hope it helps.
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/clematis/clemindx.htm

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe that Florida Sieboldii is a Group III.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you Shirley!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.