Ventilation-Shutters and Exaust Fans

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

According to this website (hyperlink below), the intake shutters are at the front of the greenhouse at the bottom, and the exaust fan is at the top of the greenhouse at the back. Here is my question: can the shutters open by the force of the exaust fan or do they have to have the separate motor? Don't laugh! I know it's a dumb question! :-D

The photo describing what I'm asking about is about 1/2 way down the page:

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/vent.shtml

This message was edited Oct 8, 2003 10:32 AM

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

It mentions motorized fans, so I'm guessing thats what they are. In my simple GH, I just open and close the vents by hand and depend on convection to pull the fresh air through.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Mine are set up on thermostats.A pulley opens the vent when the fan comes on.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Sue the shutters on exhaust fans open just fine from the force of the fan.

You can open inlet shutters with the vaccumm caused by the rapid ehaust of air when the fan starts.

There are two reasonsI don't like this way .

The first being the inlet shutter could stick and if that were to happen there is a chance your fan could be damaged or burned up.

The second is the shutter would need to be installed so the louvers opened into the green house. The wind could and would push the inlet open at times other than when the fan was running. If the temp was say 38 and it was night can you guess what type cooling would happen with a breeze of 15 mph?

I looked at that picture and it indicates those are opened by vaccumm from the force of the fan. You read into the ad and you will see where they offer a motor for 64.95.

They are advertising a lot of dayton fan and shutter supplies. Daton is a brand carried by Grainger supply they have stores in seattle maybe you could go look before you leap.

Another Seattle dealer to check is Johnstone supply. I bought my fan.speed control and theromostate at a good price from them.
Regards Ernie

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks to everyone for your help with this. As you can tell, I have no idea what I'm doing yet! :-D

It seems that motorized shutters are the way to go. Ernie you brought up very valid points that never occurred to me! And I do appreciate the tips on the local dealers too. I accidentally threw away my 'Yellow Pages' (we get a plethora each year) and I tossed out the new one with the old. Internet yellow pages are hard to navigate. But anyhoo, I will check your sources as I would definitely like to check out the product before diving in.

Thanks again, Sue

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Charleys Greenhouse and Garden is in Mt. Vernon, Wa, not far up I-5 from Seattle. They not only sell a variety of greenhouses that are manufactured right across the street from the retail store, but they have a lot of very knowledgeable salespeople to answer your questions. They sell just about everything separately.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Sue if you are going to drive to charleys you may as well stop at Stubers on the way.

I am not sure if it is in Snohomish or Monroe but they are both close to the freeway or at least a reasonable distance.

Stubers has a lot of supplies and garden stuff. A market gardener friend always tried to get me to go there but I was alyways to busy. Darn maybe this year. Ernie

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Excellent, I really appreciate this info! Hi Mary, I did not know Charleys was in the Mt. Vernon area. Ernie I will look for Stubers too. I hope it's in Snohomish, I really love to go there to look at the Antiques I can't afford. (lol!)

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Sue Wa did you go to charleys?

Did you find Stubers? Is it in Snohomish?

Where did you get your fan and louvers? And are you done yet.

Ernie

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

:-D Hi Ernie! I'm done with the greenhouse, have caulked it and put in a temporary heater. I may wait until spring to go to Charley's and Stubers now. Although, I am venting the greenhouse during the morning hours, and it would be nice to have it automated.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Sue you will find you can get some pretty warm temps in the winter I always say err on the side of coolness mine reaches the 80,s on some surprising overcast. The good thing is it is a relative short duration.Ernie

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I got my exhaust fan and the louvers from Charleys. They are on opposite sides of the greenhouse. The exhaust fan is connected to a heat timer thingy. When i am using it it is usually set to come on when the temp. reaches 85 degrees inside the greenhouse, the louvers open automatically with the air current, Really works better if the door is shut, my entry door I mean.

Now and for the winter both the exhaust fan and the louver openings are covered with heavy plastic, to keep out the cold air. Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.