has it happened to you?

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i sent some hyacinth beans to a friend saterday. they have been drying for weeks. put them in a baggy didnt zip it all the way bubble wrapped it and sent it. she is three days away by mail or more.

she got the seeds today.

guess what they where..... sprouted. yep they were growing.

i have never had seeds grow by the time they arrive. i am still laughing over it. i sent her like 20 of them.

she plans to over winter them to see if they are able to over winter.

its just funny to me. i have never had this happen before.
oh my

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Imzadi, I'm not surprised this happened. When you use the plastic bags, they will sweat and even thought the seeds are dry, this amount of moisture can be enough for them to sprout....

This I learned the hard way and lost alot of seeds to rot on year........now I only use the paper coin envelops and have not lost any since...

you know with bean seeds you can spit on them and they will sprout.......LOL
Dee

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I still use the zip baggies for storage of freshly dried seeds but I always cut a square of paper towel to slip into the baggie. Have not had any moisture problems since.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Willowwasp, I'm gonna HAVE to tell my dad to try spitting on his bean seeds to germinate them (he'd probably try it, too!) Everyone knows he's a nut (something like what I imagine Horseshoe and Rootdoctor to be based upon their crazy posts..no offense Doc or Shoe). I can just see him spitting on seeds out in the front yard...LOL!

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

My grandparents were my teachers as far as gardening and Grandfather was an ole Country Farmer, With the overall's and flannel shirt he wore year round. Don't know how he didn't burn up in the summer, but he always said he was cool. I guess he was cause he alway wore'um.........LOL

Any way the story goes grandmother was going to be smarter than her mama and put her seeds up diffrently.

one time my grandmother had dried the bean seeds and put them in Mason Jars sealed them up and put them in the Canning House. Well the temperture fluxated enough the jar began to sweat and low and behold the beans sprouted. .......LOL
Dee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.