Swamp Hibiscus

Lexington, KY

My Swamp Hibiscus is beautiful this month. Can anyone tell me if I should dig it up and pot it for the garage, or will it come back next spring. I live in zone 6. I don't want to lose it.

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Can you identify the plant further by name? Swamp Hibiscus is most likely a perennial that will do well for you outside. When the leaves have fallen, you can cut the shoots down to 6". The plant will return next season, although late. Depending on weather, it could be as late as the end of May. So don't give up on it.

Lexington, KY

Thanks Golddog -- Swamp Hibiscus has other names such as Scarlet Mallow. I will do as you suggest and hope it comes back in the spring. I will be saving many seed pods just in case. I plan to start several in the GH this winter and plant more. I read somewhere that they are beautiful planted in drifts.

Thanks!

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

With the name Swamp Hibiscus, I think we can feel pretty good about it coming back. It doesn't sound like a tropical Hibiscus.

Jackson, GA(Zone 7a)

If it is Hibiscus coccineus it is hardy to 0 degres. I have several growing in my pond.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.