Fall Planting

chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

Is fall a good time to plant a pink dogwood in northeast Tennessee?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Fall is an excellent time to plant most woody plants. The soil is warm and the air is cool(er). Root activity in woody plants is strongest in the fall. Fall planting allows the plants to become established before the heat of summer sets in and the spring flush of growth begins.
Mike

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

peggypolo... Last year I did a search about planting trees and shrubs in the Fall because I had a client who wanted some pink dogwoods. Turns out that dogwood is one of the few trees NOT recommended to plant in the Fall.

I did end up planting 2 very large containers of Kousa pinks and they survivied, but I was really afraid I'd have to replace them out of my pocket this Spring. She was just so adamant that I had to give it a try. I figured the two I bought had been in their large containers long enough that it was less risky.

Are you aware of the dogwood disease that's moving down our way? (I'm only 53 miles from you.)

chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

It's been a while since I checked back...decided not to plant dogwood this fall, but had not heard of the dogwood disease. Thanks for the info!

Peggy

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Peggy, it's this disease: (The Kousa's are less susceptible)
Dogwood Anthracnose

Dogwood anthracnose, caused by the fungus Discula destructiva, was first reported in New York and Pennsylvania in the late 1970's. Since that time it slowly moved south along the Appalachian Mountains through Maryland, West Virginia and Virginia, and reached western North Carolina in 1987. Currently the disease is found in all counties to the west of, and including, Rockingham, Wilkes, Alexander, Burke and Cleveland.

Initial symptoms are small purple-bordered leaf spots or larger tan blotches, especially on leaf margins. These initial symptoms can be confused with leaf spots caused by Elsinoe corni and Septoria cornicola, or other foliage diseases. Blighted leaves do not abscise in the fall and frequently remain on the twigs until spring. The fungus can spread to the twigs and, in some cases, to the trunk, causing brown, elliptical, annual cankers. Epicormic branches may develop on the trunk and larger branches, and also may become infected. Multiple cankers can girdle branches or the trunk, and may result in the death of the tree. The disease is most severe in cool moist forested areas above 1800 feet elevation. It is less of a problem in the landscape than in the forest.

The fungus produces masses of spores (conidia) on infected leaves or bark and presumably spreads by splashing rain and possibly by birds. Disease spread and development are favored by cool, moist weather.

Control is centered around cultural practices and fungicidal sprays. Maintenance of healthy, vigorous dogwoods is recommended (see section on planting and cultural practices at end of note). Pruning and disposal of diseased twigs and branches, removing epicormic branches that develop on the trunk, and raking and disposal of leaves may be of some value. Pruning low branches on taller trees and thinning other understory plants to improve air movement may also help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.